Excessive sun exposure is responsible for much of the skin damage associated with aging. This damage accumulates slowly over time and starts at an early age. Some sun safety tips including is use sunscreen with a minimum Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 15 with UVA or UVB protection. All people, regardless of age, should take the necessary steps to protect their skin. Re-apply sunscreen periodically throughout the day and frequently if you’re exercising in the heat. Reduce the exposure to the sun. Wear clothing that protects as much skin as possible. Wear a wide-brimmed hat and wrap-around sunglasses with UVA and UVB protection. Some people think that a tan protects against sunburn and therefore protects the skin from skin damage and skin cancer. 90% of skin damage results from exposure to sun’s UV rays. Damage due to sun’s rays can lead to premature aging such as rough, saggy, wrinkled and discolored skin.
Sun protection should start in infancy and continue throughout life. Skin cancer develops mainly on areas of skin exposed to a lot of sun, including your scalp, face, lips, ears, neck, chest, arms and hands, and on the legs in women. Some types of skin cancer appear as a small growth or as a sore that bleeds, crusts over, heals and then reopens. In the case of melanoma, an existing mole may change or a new, suspicious-looking mole may develop. Actinic keratoses. It is solar keratoses, actinic keratoses appear as rough, scaly areas in sun-exposed areas. Other types of melanoma develop in areas of long-term sun exposure and start as dark flat spots that slowly darken and enlarge, known as lentigo maligna.
Sun Protection For Skin – Tips
1. Wear protective clothing, including a wide-brimmed hat, a long-sleeved shirt, and pants.
2. Dark, tightly woven clothes are best.
3. Wear sunglasses that block out ultraviolet (UV) rays.
4. Use a sunscreen every day, all year, even when it is cloudy.
5. Use a higher sun protection factor (SPF) at higher elevations or in tropical climates.
6. Don’t stay out in the sun for long periods of time because you feel protected with sunscreen.
7. Do not use tanning booths to get a tan.
8. Keep newborns out of the sun.