Work at home moms are super busy people. They have to juggle more responsibilities that a CEO of any corporate company. A work at home mom plays at least ten roles: mother, husband, daughter, sister, education, cook, cleaner, employee, driver, and health care agent. If we can have our way, we should be paid as much as any CEO of a company. Having said that, it is stressful for many work at home moms of endless streams of housework and paperwork. At times it is simply too overwhelming. I learn the hard way that organization skill is crucial to stay sane.
WE ALL NEED GOOD WAYS TO ORGANIZE OUR LIVES!
Well, all is not lost as organization skill can be acquired easily. All you need is practice and be mindful. Here are some clever yet simple ways to help organize your life and keey your sanity.
1) Use Notables: Keep a small notebook and pen handy. Take it wherever you go and then just jot down ideas or appointments or things to do instead of trying to remember them and then forgetting them later on.
2) Use Good Telephone Habits: Establish a time limit for each telephone call and make sure you tell your caller. That way you save yourself lots of stress from trying to end the telephone call. This will also aid your caller in condensing the information they want you to hear. This one sounds meticulous but is a major saver.
3) Use Waiting Time: The next time you visit your dentist, meet with your boss or while waiting for your dinner to cook, take the time to catch up on reading or planning. When that is done use, the time to sort, tidy or just think.
4) Give Thanks: The next time someone helps you out with something, be sure to offer praise. This can be to a subordinate, co-worker or to a member of the family for any effort you have noticed. They will be happy to help you again, next time you need them.
5) Do it Now! Do not allow for the luxury of procrastination. If you do, this will only stress you out when you think about that hateful “to do” item on your list. You will end up blowing your to do list right out of proportion and it will become almost impossible to accomplish. Start by tackling the largest or most disliked job first, dividing it up into manageable tasks. At this stage, the other jobs will be a breeze!
6) Administrate Chores: Delegate those tasks that you have no time for or team up with someone who can help you most.
7) Make a Group Effort: Save time and footwork by collecting everything to bring with you to complete errands or to distribute in each room of the house instead of making too many trips. Make a fast list while planning out your route and be sure to plan each stop along the way so you do not have to backtrack and lose time.
8) Schedule in Some Fun Time! Take the time just for YOU. Allot some time in your agenda and even make an appointment for yourself and keep it, even if it’s only a leisurely 30 minute bubble bath or a 20 minute walk in the fresh spring air!
9) Make More Space: Go through your entire file system and then weed out any old unneeded files to free up space in your filing system.
10) Deal with it Only Once: Handle each letter and each piece of paper only once. Read it and file it, redirect it to somewhere else, schedule it in your day planner or toss it. Do not add it to a never-ending pile on your desk in hopes that you will get to it eventually. You WILL NOT!
11) Be your own Post-Master: Use those handy sticky notes to write errands needed to be done. Stick them to your front door or your fridge, to remind you as you are headed out. These work great!
12) Be your own Systems Engineer: You simply find there is too much time wasted every day on searching for things. Find a new system that works for you and your lifestyle and then apply it to absolutely everything! Use it like clockwork and you will find new time slots you never thought existed!
In conclusion, a work at home mom needs to stay on top of her busy daily schedule and still remain relaxed. With a little practice and some common sense, the 12 tips above will definately help you to be a more organized work at home mom.