When you buy retail, you are usually paying more than the worth of the item. This is because retailers have to gain profit, and thus they add their profit margin to the wholesale price of the product, and so sell products at a profit. Even when one tends to buy things on sale, and at a discount, the retailers do make a profit, although it is minimized because of the discount offers. However, the best way to save money is to buy wholesale. One can definitely beat even the lowest prices which the retailers have to offer by buying wholesale.
But where do you find a wholesaler? Following are several areas which one can explore:
1. Look through the yellow and white pages, i.e. the phonebook! Flip the pages until you reach the business section, and then search through the category of the product you want, until you find a wholesaler or wholesale business which deals in that product. For example, lets say you want the wholesaler for shampoos. Then search until you find a wholesaler which deals in cosmetics, and particularly daily utilities. Contact them, and ask about the different deals, and the timings which allow the general public to buy from them.
2. Use the Internet!! The internet is the best place to start. There are different forums and discussion platforms where people share ideas and different shopping strategies which benefit the general public. Find a discussion platform where people openly discuss wholesalers, and the best place to buy wholesale items for different products.
3. If you are buying items for your house, such as furniture, building supplies, flooring, wallpaper, and so on, one can always try to pull some contacts. Meaning, there may be a chance that one of your friends, colleagues, and/or family members can refer you to a sub-contractor who can give you a good price on such items. It never hurts to try!
4. There are different wholesale markets held from time to time in parts of cities, or near cities. If you know of such a market, then you can call up the organizing committee, or the managing authority, and have them give you an update as to when the next wholesale market will be held, and if it will be open for the general public. Such markets are ideal places to buy jewelry, and other personal items.
5. You can also try checking through the newspaper. There are several classified advertisements which mention timings and locations of manufacturers representatives selling samples of their product at low prices. These classified ads are normally for clothes, carpets and rugs, art work, accessories, jewelry, and so on.
6. Wait! Dont blindly trust the wholesaler! It always helps to know the retail prices of items you wish to buy wholesale. It also helps if you are in the position to compare the prices of different wholesalers, because there may be times when even the slightest variation in price would save you several dollars; especially if youre buying a lot of things in bulk!