Copyright 2006 Cari Vollmer
Clients come to me when they want to make a change in their life but feel confused, afraid and overwhelmed on how to get started. In the first moments we meet, they tell me they are unhappy and want to feel better.
As they tell me their story, I ever so gently remind them theyve already taken a big first step; theyve admitted their life isnt working. Somewhere, deep in their soul, they found the courage to look at their life square in the eye and declare enoughs enough and admit its time to start living the life they really want to live.
To create and live the life you really want is 100% possible. But you have to put first things first. Admitting your life isnt working is a good first step. However, once thats done, its not always necessary, or even helpful to figure why its not working. Instead, relief can be found sooner than later by simply shifting the focus of your thoughts to what you do want, rather than what you dont want.
You can begin the process of shifting your thoughts from thoughts that make you feel weak and powerless to thoughts that make you feel strong and powerful by asking life-empowering, yet basic questions like, What does a Life On Track mean to me?
The following 15 questions will get you in touch with what you want for your life. Take your time and have fun answering these questions.
1. What feels great in my life today what am I really enjoying?
2. What do I do over and over again that gives me a sense of peace?
3. How do I like to have fun/What gives me the most enjoyment?
4. What brings me alive? What makes me feel good?
5. What am I often complimented on?
6. How do I want to feel about my life and myself?
7. What do I think will make me feel this way?
8. What do I care about most in the world?
9. What do I want to spend my time and energy on?
10. What are my dreams?
11. What really ticks me off right now?
12. What/who drains my energy/the life from me?
13. What do I do that makes me feel awful about myself?
14. What do I worry about most right now?
15. What do I dwell on?
Your answers to the first 5 questions reflect what you want MORE OF in your life.
Your answers to the middle 5 questions express a possible VISION for your life.
Your answers to the last 5 questions reflect what youd like LESS OF in your life.
Simply doing MORE OF what you love and LESS OF what you dont love is a good start to getting your life back on track. Have a VISION for your life and youll give yourself the opportunity to actively bring to life that vision each moment of the day through the choices you make.
If you decide to answer the 15 questions in this article (or even some of them) youll be well on your way to feeling better and living the life you want. Dont stop now! If you feel overwhelmed with your answers because there seems to be SO MUCH to do because youre off track right now, dont worry. Its normal to feel that way. Dont let your overwhelm stop you pick one thing off your list and do it! Then in a week, or a month, pick something else and do that. Take it one step at a time. Ask for help if you need it. But mostly let your heart guide your choices. Youll be fine!