With the increase in availability and accessibility of the internet services, the number of users has grown tremendously. More people can nowadays access the internet from the comfort of their homes and from there follow the world happenings with ease. It is however important to note that the internet can also be accessed from any other location including schools, parks and even while travelling. This has seen the introduction of mobile websites designs which are aimed at helping the masses to access the internet directly with ease.
When designing a mobile website, there are various considerations that one must make. This is aimed at helping ensure that the websites developed are effective and safe. One can be able to design and develop a mobile website by following a few guidelines thus making it much easier for users to access different websites with ease. Below are some guidelines you followed in order to design a mobile website.
- Make use of a fluid outline: – when designing the aforementioned websites, it is important to take into consideration that different mobile phones come with different screen sizes. To ensure that your site is properly visible, make sure that you use of a fluid layout. This helps to ensure that the small space on the mobile screen is exploited. You will also need to consider different mobile screen resolutions and using the right resolution will help ensure that your design has a quality definition even on devices that are considered high-end. At least 320 pixels are ideal for such process since it can easily be scaled in order to display on smaller mobile device screens.
- Transmit your website to a mobile version of the same: -This will work well since you will be designing a completely different and special platform for the mobile users. The same design can be redirected in a different way with the aim of giving the desktop users a compatible platform as well. Having a mobile version for your website ensures that not only are the desktop users able to access your website with ease but also that those who use the mobile are able to do so as well.
- Use quality imaging: -This can be achieved through the use of high resolution images that are compatible to mobile phone screens without appearing either to be too big or too small. This will help ensure that you have saved the bandwidth utilization while at the same time giving your visitors quality images.
- Develop a simple layout: -This will help ensure that users do not face the difficulty of scrolling and especially due to the disparity of resolutions, shapes, and sizes for different devices. Instead of using double columns, use a single column layout.
- Think about your text: – this is a very important part when designing a mobile website as the text must be clear and readable.
- Regulate the use of audio and video: – All though video and audio are ideal for mobile websites, using the right formats is important in order to allow your message to be accessible by people using different devices and also save on bandwidth. Avoid flash formats for video and auto-play for audio.
- Use language compatible with mobile devices: -This will help enhance the site accessibility speed and reduce the cost. Either use XTML, WML or HTML which are suitable for this.
- Give priority to the websites main information such as search bar and navigation. This makes it easy to users to follow freely and get their way through your content.
These steps are important when coming up with a mobile website design as they enhance the effectiveness of your site allowing the users to access it from any given location. Remember the secret is in increasing the number of visitors to your site and luring them to return again.