Aspartic acid, also known as L-aspartate, is a nonessential amino acid, meaning our bodies can make it without the need for an extra source. So, when any health company starts marketing nutritional supplements containing aspartic acid, it is understandable that people would be wary. Why try to sell us something that we can get freely? It would be like trying to sell people air, with all its associated health properties, when we can get it for free just by taking a deep breath.
However, just as sources of pure oxygen are used in the medical world to give patients a boost, so too can nutritional supplements of aspartic acid provide the health conscious with extra health benefits that natural levels cannot provide.
So what can aspartic acid nutritional supplements do for you?
Health Benefits of Aspartic Acid
Aspartic acid has numerous health benefits, which can be enhanced through nutritional vitamin supplements.
1. Keeps the Mind Sharp: Nutritional supplements of aspartic acid can keep the mind sharp by increasing the concentration of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) in the brain. This complicated sounding enzyme is believed to enhance the production of neurotransmitters and chemicals required for normal mental functioning. Along with other important vitamins and minerals, aspartic acid prevents a dull mind.
2. Helpful in Removing Fatigue: Aspartic acid helps in removing fatigue and increasing stamina by increasing the production of excitatory neurotransmitters in brain. These neurotransmitters provide resistance to fatigue and leads to more endurance. People who get tired easily are often found to have low levels of aspartic acid and be in need of nutritional supplements.
3. Depression Treatment: Aspartic acid is often found to be lacking in people suffering from depression. Vitamin supplements conating aspartic acid can help redress the balance.
4. Protect the Liver: Nutritional supplement of aspartic acid can help in protecting the liver from drug toxicity and generally improve this organs health. Aspartic acid helps in removing toxins from the blood stream, particularly excessive ammonia, which is very damaging to the livers health.
5. Improves the Health of Immune System: Aspartic acid helps in transporting vitamins and minerals required in the formation of healthy RNA and DNA to the cells. It gives strength to the immune system by promoting the production of antibodies and immunoglobulin (immune system proteins). You can give your immune system a boost through nutritional supplements containing aspartic acid.
Nutritional supplements of aspartic acid are generally safe. However, some people may be allergic to certain vitamin supplements containing this amino acid. Pregnant and breast-feeding women should avoid nutritional supplements and multi vitamins containg aspartic acid. Natural sources of aspartic acid are sprouting seeds, dairy products, beef, sausage, avocado, asparagus, oat flakes, and poultry.
As we can see, getting more than the natural level of aspartic acid can lead to extra health benefits. But what is a natural level anyway? The abundance of people eating processed foods has led to deficiencies in even aspartic acid – something we make ourselves. Other vitamins and minerals our body needs to make aspartic acid may also be lacking in the diet, increasing the requirement of nutritional supplements even more. So top-up on this non-essential amino acid for extra health benefits.