Due to increasing side-effects of allopathic medicines, natural remedies are widely used for treating common ailments. This article discusses three useful essential oils with remedial properties.
Bergamot is a member of the citrus family, and the oil is extracted by pressing the peel of the fruit. It is a powerful antiseptic and an appetite stimulant. It must not be used neat on the skin because it can cause pigmentation marks.
Bergamot essential oil is helpful for:
1. Cold sores: Blend into a carrier oil and apply to the cold sore with a cotton bud every few hours.
2. Cystitis: Add to the bathwater and soak in it for 15 minutes.
3. Oily, spotty skin: Blend into a carrier oil (wheatgerm oil is good) and massage into the affected area. You can also steam your face with bergamot mixed with boiling water.
4. Psoriasis: Blend into a carrier oil (evening primrose oil is helpful for psoriasis) and massage into the affected area, or add to the bathwater.
2. Clary sage
The clary sage oil is produced from the flowers and leaves of the plant. It is used to make eau-de-cologne and is very soothing used as an aftershave.
Clary sage essential oil is helpful for:
1. Depression: Add to your bath, or use in a burner or vaporizer.
2. Inflamed skin: Particularly good for shaving rashes and inflamed skin.
3. Irregular, painful periods: Mix into a carrier oil and massage into the lower back and lower abdomen for several days prior to and during, your period.
4. Sore throat: Mix into a carrier oil and rub into the chest and throat three or four times a day, or inhale.
There are two types of fennel, sweet and bitter. Essential oil is extracted from the seeds, roots and leaves by steam distillation. Florence fennel is a popular vegetable often eaten with fish. It has a slightly aniseed flavor and looks rather like a very thick celery. Fennel essential oil has the same aniseed scent as the root.
Fennel essential oil is helpful for:
1. Flatulence: It is used to make gripe water.
2. Fluid retention: Add to the bathwater
3. Hiccoughs: Inhale neat from the bottle, or in steam
4. Nausea and vomiting: Add a carrier oil and massage into the stomach
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.