The Importance of Water & Water Purification

The human body can live for up to 8 weeks without food-as long as water purification is availabe. On the flip side, the human body can only live for 3-5 days if conditions are ideal (average temperature and no extreme conditions) without water. The healthier the person, the longer they will be able to live without water or food.

With that said, water is vital for every living organism on our planet but yet we take it for granted. Currently, 70% of the Earth’s surface is covered in water with the remaining 30% being populated by land.

Of the 70% of water on the Earth, 97.5% is salt water-and unable to prepare into potable water(drinkable). You can probably figure out the percentage of clean water within that 70% of Earths water- that is suitable for drinking just by simple math. But, do you realize the importance and severity of these numbers?

The importance of these statistics and percentages may not be apparent to you but should be something to keep in mind. The importance of water access, storage and water purification may become a necessity within our lifetime. Did you know that over the past 50 years, our fresh water supply has diminished due to global warming?

If you have done the math, you will have seen that only 2.5% of the total amount of water on the earth is in fresh water format. Of that 2.5% of fresh water, 1.6% is at the polar ice caps and glaciers, and an additional 0.36% is underground. We are left with a mere.036% in our lakes and rivers for our daily use.

The water supply that you do have at home, in your business, school and social establishments-is it pure? Most people probably don’t ever think about water purification unless living in a third world country or dealing with hard water.

So, let’s talk about water purification for a moment.

There are 4 filtration methods for water purification,

  • Microfiltration is a water purification process that utilizes a membrane technical filtration format which removes pathogens and other unwanted debris from a fluid (liquid or gas) by advancing through a micro-porous membrane. The typical microfiltration membrane pore size range is 0.1 to 10 micro-meters. Microfiltration is fundamentally different from reverse osmosis and nano-filtration as those formats use gravity to create pressure to force water from low pressure to high pressure. Microfiltration doesn’t need pressure to complete its process.
  • Ultrafiltration is numerous types of membrane filtration in which hydrostatic pressure (gravitational pull) forces a liquid through a semi-permeable membrane. Larger solids (Suspended solids and solutes with elevated molecular weight) are retained, while water and low molecular weighing particles pass through the semi-permeable membrane completing the water purification process.
  • Nanofiltration is a relatively recent discovery of membrane filtration- primarily used with low particle(dissolved solids)content such as surface water and fresh groundwater, with the purpose of softening and a disinfection process such as natural organic matter and synthetic organic matter.
  • Reversed osmosis is a method of producing pure clean water. A solvent advances through a semi-permeable membrane in an opposite direction of typical osmosis where it is subjected to a gravitational pressure (hydrostatic pressure) that is greater than the osmotic pressure resulting a water purification completion.

With this knowledge you have attained by reading this article, I hope that you will view water in a different way than previously and consider water conservation and water purification as a way of life.