The “Guru” Myth and The Real Secret to Success

You have to think for yourself. It always amazes me how high-IQ people mindlessly imitate. I never get good ideas talking to other people" – Warren Buffet

You’re reading this article because you are probably at an important crossroad in your small business. The question that keeps you up at night is simple – do I push on or do I give up and go back to the day job?

The decision gnaws at you because you feel that you’ve done everything right! You’ve found a “money-making” Guru, “invested” in the eBooks, maxed the credit cards to attend the latest “Big Seminar”. And against your better judgment, you’ve mortgaged everything to join the Guru’s latest Coaching program.

But… you’re still desperate and broke.

To be fair, you’ve seen "some" results. You celebrated your first sale (even framed the ClickBank check.) However, the sales aren’t have slowed to a trickle. And, now you’re exhausted, frustrated, and disillusioned.

What went wrong?

Warren Buffet discovered early in his career that success doesn’t come from imitating methods, but by investing in the right mindset. His unwavering faith in his unique view of the world protected him from "the Guru Myth" and earned him the distinction as the 2nd richest man in America (by the way, his disciple, friend, and confidant is the Richest Man in America – Bill Gates).

So let’s unravel what I call the Guru Myth. By the end you will understand what you need to do – now – to transform your "Going Broke" story into a success story.

Guru Myth  – 1: "If I buy the Guru’s book it will make me rich and successful"

The "How-To" craze has duped many would be entrepreneurs. The promise goes like this, I will show you how-to achieve riches overnight. The problem is that the “How” only represents 10% of the success formula. The other 90% is hardly ever taught, the reason "Why" a Guru has achieved success.

Reality: It is not the “How” that Guarantees Success – It’s the "Why"

The Guru’s path to success is not dotted with "To Do Lists". In fact, if you stripped the Guru of every possession, his faith in his unique expertise and dedication to market it to others will put her back on top within weeks.

Guru Myth – 2: "Gurus Stick With it until They Succeed"

Stubborn determination is worshipped in business the business. In fact, leaders who "change their mind" are judged to be weak and indecisive. As a result, we believe that the Guru achieved success by sticking to one course of action until he bent "the universe to his will"

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Reality: Guru’s "Fail Quickly" and Change Their Minds Often

In fact, Gurus pride themselves on their ability to quickly change course without regret. In fact, you will find that the Gurus try to "Fail Quickly!” Face it, Gurus don’t like to lose money any more than you do. If an idea isn’t performing as expected, the Guru will quickly abandon it and move on.

It’s not a coincidence, that most successful entrepreneurs have started several different businesses before they see their first "hit".

Guru Myth – 3: The Guru Is The Expert

This myth sounds like this "If I Do What This Guru did, I will Get What He Got". This myth convinces many to become a Guru Groupie, buying every book, attending every seminar, and hoping that the magic will rub off. In the end, the groupie is left with a ton of books, brochures, and audiotapes – and an empty bank account.

Reality: The Guru’s Expertise is Knowing Himself

Steve Jobs knows he’s masterful at creating technology that people will enjoy. Oprah Winfrey knows she’s an expert at healing pain that other’s would rather ignore. These Gurus completely trust their ability to offer something compellingly unique to their audience.

"Wait a minute Stan, are you saying that Gurus have nothing to offer?"

Absolutely not! But successful entrepreneurs understand they have a unique expertise that is priceless. Once you have determined what your expertise is – then you are in a position to benefit from learning "The How-To" taught by the Gurus.

The critical decision that you need to make right now is to commit yourself to uncovering, training, and growing your unique expertise. This is your real power and the surest guarantee of success.