These life coaching tips are in no particular order; they are just listed 1 – 10 for ease.
1. Try stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while. One of the greatest barriers to achieving your potential is your comfort zone. As a life coach this is probably the number one area I focus on with clients. Great things happen when you make friends with your discomfort zone.
2. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. There is an old saying that people who haven’t made mistakes haven’t made anything. Make mistakes and learn from them.
3. Be aware of any negative thoughts you hold about yourself – challenge them, are they really true, if so what is the evidence? Are you giving yourself a hard time? I guarantee you that you are your harshest critic. Cut yourself some slack! This is probably the second most common area I work whilst coaching clients.
4. Make an effort to try and look on the bright side of things, I know it sounds cheesy but sometimes it comes very easy to us to be critical or negative, almost habit like. The next time you feel negative towards something, STOP, and purposely find something positive about the issue and focus on that. You can almost always see another side of things. It just depends where your bias is.
5. Read some good uplifting books, there are some excellent biographies out there by all sorts of people, successful people, rags to riches people and people who have overcome huge obstacles in life. Not to mention some good self-help/life coaching books. Beware there are plenty of rubbish self-help books around too.
6. Train yourself to finish what you start. Follow through – you owe it to yourself and others. Does it feel good to have loads of things hanging around half done that you should have finished? Don’t let things build up. Slay the beast whilst it’s small.
7. Focus on the present moment. When you live in the past too much you stop living now. I often tell my life coaching clients to – ‘live in the now, plan for the future, and learn from the past’.
8. Learn what is important to you in life – is it love? Is it money? Is it your family? What do you love doing? Who/what makes you happy?
9. Realise that setbacks and knocks are just a normal part of life. If life was brilliant 100% of the time we would take it for granted and not appreciate it. It’s duality – you can’t appreciate something without having the opposite, it’s like day and night, hot or cold, up and down. You just can understand one without the reference point to the other. It’s exactly the same with good and bad.
10. Some wise words from a wise man – Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. Ralph Waldo Emerson