When the desire is to create a great hairstyle, the foundation must be set correctly or no look will dazzle. With this in mind, one of the first places to start is ensuring the hair is properly cleaned and conditioned before setting out to style.
It’s something most of us do every day, but do we actually shampoo correctly? Probably not! There’s actually a right way and a wrong way to wash and condition. Following the correct method can really help the hair stay strong and healthy and lend itself to some great hairstyles.
Here’s the right way to shampoo and condition for setting great styles:
* Get the hair completely wet with warm or cool water before shampooing. Avoid hot water since this can dry out the scalp and hair.
* Put a small amount of shampoo into the hands and rub to distribute well. With the fingers, gently apply the shampoo and remember, the purpose really is to clean the scalp. Massage the scalp well, but don’t worry about getting shampoo on every strand of hair. It will get cleaned in the rinse. Also, don’t bother repeating unless your head tends to be oily.
* Once the hair’s washed, it’s time for conditioner. Apply this the same way, but remember in this case to cover the hair, too. Don’t massage this into the scalp, unless it’s really dry and do remember to get the entire hair shaft covered. Follow product instructions for how long to leave conditioner in and use a comb to distribute it evenly, if necessary. Don’t forget to rinse the conditioner completely from the hair, unless it’s a leave in type.
* Don’t wash unless it’s necessary. Hair does not need to be washed every day – at least not all hair. Wash daily, every other day or in some other frequency based on the type of hair you have and the needs at the time. It’s fine to wash every other day and sometimes it can be better for the hair.
* Switching shampoos is sometimes necessary for those who use drug store products. This can help remove build ups from shampoos. But, if you use a salon quality shampoo and conditioner, this generally isn’t necessary. These products are designed to rinse clean without build up.
No matter the hairstyle desired, starting with a clean and conditioned head of hair can really help make the look just right. This also can really help keep hair healthy, which is ideal for creating just about any look other than the broken hair frizz!