Copyright 2006 Dennis Watson
In order to succeed or accomplish anything in life you must first set goals. It is especially a must for any person interested in self-improvement. With that said, one of the first sets of goals should be on self-improvement.
But remember “What you achieve through the journey of life is not as important as who you become” – Author Unknown.
Go ahead and take the actions and steps necessary to make your goal of self-improvement in some area of your life into a reality. A good example of this is how athletes will compare their current performance to their own previous performances with self-improvement being the number one goal.
Below are six goal-setting actions to help you realize your goals:
1. Begin with short-term goals that will build upon themselves and lead you to long-term ones.
If you have a big task, like becoming debt free, break it into smaller steps which will help you stay focused and on course. You will feel good as you reach each goal, keeping you motivated and ready for the next one.
2. Make sure you really want the goal. It is very important that the goals you choose are yours and not someone else’s goals set for you. If deep down you are not committed to the goals, you will only put off achieving it.
3. Share your goals with others. By doing this you will gain support you need from others. Make sure you share with those who will encourage you and not with those who will give you negative feedback.
4. Write down your goals. Create a written statement of goals and sign it. This will reinforce your commitment and give you a map for success. Also, when times get tough you can read your statement to help motivate you.
5. Stay the course and don’t give up. There is nothing more satisfying in life then when you complete a goal. Being successful once turns into many. It can become quite additive.
6. Rejoice and celebrate. Take time to savor the moment. You worked hard and found out that by being committed and dedicated your goals were met.
There you have it, six basic steps that will aid you on your journey to successfully obtaining your goals. All though all six steps are important the one that stands out the most is number 1. If you can’t break your goal down into bit size portions you will always put it off or procrastinate. And you know what happens when one procrastinates…nothing gets done. Good luck.