Do you want to stand out from the crowd in your business or personal life?
Does the idea of free publicity appeal to you?
One way to gain recognition and exposure for your business or your personal achievements is to distribute a media release.
The media are always looking for stories of interest to fill their newspapers, magazines, TV and radio shows. If you can offer them something that is newsworthy, topical, interesting or entertaining then you have a good chance of your story being used. Sending relevant media releases often ensures you stay “top of mind” with your database of media contacts and is great public relations for you or your business when your story is run.
Here are some good reasons to send a media release any time you have something interesting to say.
1. Continuous brand building. Anytime you get a media “hit” and your name is mentioned it will add to the public’s awareness of your brand and what you have to offer.
2. Credibility of your message. An editorial story is a lot more likely to be read and recognised than an advertisement. Seeing a story on the TV news or reading about it in the paper gives your product or message a lot more credibility.
3. Cheap. Certainly cheaper than advertising and free if you write and issue your media release yourself. You could end of with thousands of dollars worth of free editorial coverage.
4. Clients and customers kept informed. You need to find ways to continually keep in front of customers and clients. Perhaps they will see your story in the newspaper. But why not call and alert them to your story or send a clipping of your article to keep in touch. Better still include comments or quotes from your clients in the media release.
5. Clarity. Writing a media release will help you get clear on what your message is by being succinct and concise with the words you choose. Clients will gain more understanding of your products or services also.
6. Communicating who you are, what you do and how you make a difference is what public relations is all about. Getting into the habit of communicating your successes and achievements by sending media releases will aid in raising your profile.
7. Celebrity status. Gaining publicity in the media will help you become known as the expert in your area and will enhance your image and reputation.