An ideal weight is like an insurance against various dreadful diseases that may occur if the body weight is not kept under control. Obesity welcomes many serious diseases including high blood pressure, diabetes and cancer. These diseases sometimes cause a persons premature death. And that is the reason why it is essential that those who fall in this category should reduce their weight. If a person has a previous family history of high blood pressure or heart disease, it becomes all the more essential for him to reduce his weight.
Shedding of excess fat is a basic condition for maintaining the health of all those who are severely obese. It is advisable to undertake the weight reduction program cautiously or under proper medical care in the following circumstances:
1. Those patients who are suffering from peptic ulcers should get the ulcer treated first.
2. When the patient is suffering from some serious disease.
3. It is desirable that the treatment of obesity should not be launched (or launched under proper medical care) till a patient is cured, or relieved to some extent, from diseases like liver disorders, gout, cancer, high diabetes, etc.
4. Some people develop hypoglycemia soon after they start dieting. This trouble develops gradually. Its symptoms are profuse sweating, paleness of skin, numbness in hands and feet, rigors, acute hunger, strange sensations in the head, fast pulse rate, palpitation and unconsciousness. Such people should beware of the above mentioned symptoms. If such symptoms appear, they should increase the amount of carbohydrate intake in their food. Such symptoms also begin to disappear if a person takes a sweet drink. However, it must be borne in mind that such cases are very rare.
5. Those who are suffering from low blood pressure should reduce their weight carefully. They should not make haste. Such persons should go about carefully in the matters of low calorie diet and heavy exercises.
6. Patience is important while reducing weight in the old age.
Baring the above mentioned circumstances; there is no harm in launching a rigorous weight reduction program. In the above mentioned cases too, weight reduction would prove beneficial; though, it should be undertaken cautiously, patiently and under proper medical supervision.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.
Copyright © Nick Mutt, All Rights Reserved. If you want to use this article on your website or in your ezine, make all the urls (links) active.