Itching refers to a skin disease caused by impurity in blood. It may occur over the whole body or location of the body and also known as pruritus. In simple words it can be defined as sensation that demands scratching of the affected area of skin. Itching in a particular area may be due to insect bites and stings.
Causes of itching
The various causes are:
* Due to Dry skin
* Skin inflammations like sunburn, allergies
* Eczema may cause itching
* Parasitic infestations
* Strong chemicals like detergents, solvents
Should I scratch the itch?
Itching usually prompts scratching, which can sometimes lead to a vicious itch-scratch cycle. Scratching can initially feel so satisfying – but prolonged scratching just leaves you with irritated skin that can still itch! Since scratching provides only temporary relief and doesn’t promote healing of the underlying problem, it is best to avoid scratching if at all possible. If scratching breaks open the skin, bacterial infection can set in. And if scratching continues for many months or years, the area that is scratched may develop thickened skin (lichenification) or pigmentation that darkens the area.
Home Remedies for itching
* To get relief from itching peppermint bath is very beneficial.
* Cover the affected area with light paste of coconut oil and limejuice.
* Put 2-3 cups of oatmeal in a tub with Luke warm water.
* Pour a cupful of white vinegar in bath water and soak the body in it for 15-20 minutes.
* Application of cod liver oil or Aloe Vera to the affected area is beneficial.
* To avoid itching of dry skin, it is better to use moisturizer after every wash.
* Application of vitamin E oil is effective to remove itching.
* A hot water application to the affected area provides immediate relief.
* Application of paste made my mixing baking soda with water is effective remedy.
* Neem is an effective remedy for all types of skin problems and for skin care. Application of neem oil to the affected areas gives fast relief from itching. Neem bath can be taken by boiling the neem leaves in bath water.