Yeast infection means the infection caused by the fungus candida albicans. They are also known as candidiasis. Around 80-90 percent of women suffer from vaginal yeast infections. Yeast are a very small organism that are present on the skin and vagina. There fast growing can be controlled by the right bacteria balance and in vagina proper acidic balance prevents it from growing.
How Do I Know if I Have a Yeast Infection?
Self-diagnosis of a yeast infection may not be as obvious as one would think. A 1997 study at Temple University Medical School reported in the July issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology, found that only 28 percent of female participants presenting with recurrent yeast infections had candidiasis. Eleven percent actually had a bacterial infection and that requires a different treatment.
Causes of yeast infections
* Due to Oral contraceptives
* Hormonal changes is another reason
* Repeated intercourse in a short period
* Unhygienic conditions
* Tight clothing
Oral candidiasis may cause burning or painful sensations but most often is asymptomatic. Other symptoms that may be yeast connected include a craving for sugar, alcohol, or bread; digestive problems; fatigue; depression; and muscle or joint pains.
Rarely, the yeast infection may spread throughout the body. In systemic candidal disease, up to 75% of people may die. Even common mouth and vaginal yeast infections can cause critical illness and can be more resistant to normal treatment.
Home Remedies of yeast infections
* Washing the affected area with diluted apple cider vinegar repeatedly will stop the growth of infection. In case of itching one garlic clove can also be added.
* Drinking one glass of buttermilk every day especially during at night helps in killing the infection.
* Saturate a tampon by dipping in tea tree oil and insert it at night. Repeat this for 4-5 days.
* Insert capsules of boric acid into vagina and keep it every night for several days. Itching will reduce.
* Soak a tampon in curd and place it in the infected region for an hour or more. Repeat it 3-4 times a day.
* Its better to prefer cotton panties instead of nylon.
* A warm salt hipbath is beneficial in reducing the infection.
* Apply honey on the external parts of the vagina and leave it for at least 15-20 minutes. Now Wash the area with warm water.
* Avoid using any soap or shampoo for washing the affected area as these products remove the natural oils that protect the skin from infections.
Self-Care at Home
Most candidal infections can be treated at home with over-the-counter or prescription medication and can clear within a week. But if some other disease has weakened your immune system, consult your doctor for any new symptoms before attempting self-treatment.