Sprain are the stretch or tear of the ligament and ligaments are the fibrous tissues that connect two or more bones and form a joint. Ligament is a very soft tissue. The ankles, knees and wrist are more susceptible to sprains instead of others. In sprain one or more ligaments can be injured at same time.
Causes of sprains
* Sudden fall
* A forceful blow to the body
* Stepping on an uneven surface
* Lifting heavy objects
* Over stretching of the ligaments
Ankle Sprain Symptoms
* When an ankle is injured with a sprain, tendon injury, or fracture, inflammation occurs. Blood vessels become “leaky” and allow fluid to ooze into the soft tissue surrounding the joint.
* Redness and warmth caused by increased blood flow to the area.
* Swelling because of increased fluid in the tissue
Home Remedies for sprains
* Application of cold compresses on the area with a bandage is very beneficial to get relief from pain.
* Massaging the area with almond oil and garlic oil is also effective in reducing pain.
* Soak outer leaves of cabbage in hot water and wrap around the area with sprain and leave it for 20-25 minutes.
* Soak the sprain area in warm water with few drops of lavender oil.
* Wrap chopped onions in a muslin cloth and place it on the affected area.
* A hot Epsom salt bath is very beneficial for relief from pain.
Lotions and oils
* Camphor rub
Mix one teaspoon of camphor oil to one cupful of sunflower oil and massage with it on the effected area.
* Turpentine and sunflower
Add two tablespoons of sunflower oil and one tablespoon of turpentine oil. Application of this mixture to the sprains is beneficial
* Onion and honey
Mix finely chopped onion with honey and apply it on the affected area.