Sore Throat means the inflammation of the pharynx or back of the throat. Sore throats usually occurs with a cold and cough or can occur due to result of swollen tonsils or an infection and irritation in the throat, which can sometimes lead to pain or ache in the ear. An irritating condition of the throat may change from the harmless to the serious problem.
Causes sore throat
* Bacterial or viral infection
* Various ailments like cold; influenza, tonsillitis, mumps, sinusitis, measles and diphtheria
* Excessive smoking
* Talking loudly and shouting
Home Remedies for sore throat
* Use of mango bark is highly beneficial in sore throat. Make a gargle by mixing 10 ml of the fluidextract with 125-150 ml of water.
* An infusion of the seeds mixed with common salt can be also used as a gargle in acute condition.
* The leaves of the holy basil have also been proved beneficial in the treatment of sore throat. The water boiled with basil leaves should be taken as a drink or can be used as a gargle.
* A hot Epsom salt bath is beneficial.
* The throat gargled several times with warm water mixed with a little salt also provide sore throat relief.
* The spice cinnamon is also considered as an effective remedy for sore throat. Powdered spice boiled in a glass on water with a pinch of pepper powder and honey is very beneficial in the treatment. The oil of cinnamon mixed with honey also provides sore throat relief.
* A gargle prepared from fenugreek seeds is very beneficial in the treatment of sore throat.
* Daily dry friction bath is beneficial for the sore throat.
Gargles for sore throat
* Sage gargle
Make a tea with 25-30 grams fresh sage in 500-600 ml of water and add one-fourth teaspoon of cayenne. Allow it to cool and then strain it and drink.
* Red sage tea
Red sage tea is useful in sore throat relief. Infuse one teaspoon of dried red sage in one cup of the boiling water. Cover and leave for 10-15 minutes, then strain and add vinegar. This can be used for gargling four to five times in a day and can be drunk as a tea without adding vinegar.