Jaundice means the yellowing of skin and whites of the eyes caused due to the high level of pigment bilirubin in the body. It is the most common liver disorder that results from an obstruction in the bile duct or the loss of function of the bile producing liver cells. The person becomes very weak in jaundice. Bile is a vital digestive fluid that is essential for proper nutrition.
Causes of jaundice
* Hemolytic anemia
* Blockage in bile ducts
* Due to Acute hepatitis
* Due to Pancreatic cancer
* Alcoholic liver disease
What are the symptoms?
The symptoms, other than that of the jaundice itself, will relate to the underlying cause. For example someone with haemolysis might also be anaemic and tired. If a gallstone were responsible there would probably have been a preceding history of pain in the abdomen. A cancer might be accompanied by weight loss, and so on.
Home Remedies for jaundice
* The juice of bitter luffa is very effective home remedy against jaundice. It can be obtained by pounding and squeezing through cloth. The juice obtained should be placed on the palm and then drawn through the nostrils.
* Another effective food remedy for jaundice is the raddish juice.
* Mash one ripe banana with one tablespoon of honey and eat it twice in a day.
* High intake of limejuice is beneficial.
* Take one pinch of black pepper mixed in buttermilk for at least 7-9 days.
* Carrot juice is beneficial for the jaundice patients.
* Prune is one of the most favorable fruits for the patients suffering from jaundice disease.
* Take half teaspoon of ginger juice with one teaspoon of fresh lime and mint added.
* Drinking tomato juice with a pinch of salt early in the morning is very beneficial.
* 4 grams of Indian gooseberry taken with water thrice a day for at least 20-25 days cures all liver problems.
* Minerals like calcium and iron should be included in the diet.
* Daily intake of pinch of roasted alum with buttermilk, twice or thrice in a day treats jaundice.
* Oils, fried foods, butter, turmeric, spicy food, pickles and sour products should not be taken.