Diabetes mellitus is a nutritional disorder, and is characterized by an abnormally high level of blood glucose and the excretion of the excess glucose in the urine. It results from an absolute or relative lack of insulin which leads to abnormalities in carbohydrate metabolism and protein metabolism and fat. The cases of diabetes are much higher these days as compared to the past. The most commonly used screening tests are the determination of the fasting blood glucose level and the blood glucose level tested after two hours after a meal. The normal fasting blood sugar content is 80 -120mg. per 100 ml of blood, this can go up to a level of 160 mg. per 100 ml of blood two hours after meals. Anything above these levels can be termed as diabetic levels. It occurs in all age groups but the most common sufferers are obese people in middle or older age
Types of diabetes
* Type 1 diabetes
* Type 2 diabetes
* Gestational diabetes
In Type 1 diabetes is also known as insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM) or juvenile onset diabetes. In this type the body stops producing insulin or produce less to regulate the level of blood glucose.
In Type 2 diabetes the body is not able to use insulin secreted by the pancreas. It is also known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus or adult onset diabetes. The most sufferers are people of middle and older ages. It can be controlled with diet, exercise and weight loss.
Gestational diabetes occurs during the second half of pregnancy and then disappears after the delivery. The women suffering from gestational diabetes have higher chances of type 2 diabetes in the later stages of life
Causes of Diabetes
* Genetic factors
* Stress and anxiety
* High carbohydrate diet
* Nutritional deficiency
* Less physical activity or lack of exercise
* Specific disease that interferes with the proper functioning of pancreas
Home Remedies for Diabetes
* Fenugreek seeds 20 are useful in diabetes. Soak about 95 -100 seeds in 250 grams of water and leave it overnight. Mash them in morning and sieve in a cloth and drink mixture regularly. Use for at least 2 months for diabetes cure.
* Bitter gourd (karela) is one of the best options 21 . Srivastava Y, Venkatakrishna-bhatt H, Verma Y, et al. Antidiabetic and adaptogenic properties of Momordica charantia extract: An experimental and clinical evaluation. Phytother Res 1993;7:2859.. It can simply be fried with salt and other condiments and can be taken 2-3 daily. Half-cup karela juice can be taken.
* Regular grape fruit juice cures diabetes.
* Leaves of mango tree also fight diabetes. Boil 3-4 fresh leaves of mango tree in the morning and drink.
* Fruit, leaves, seeds and juice of jamun (Syszygium cumini) are useful. Its seeds prevent conversion of starch into the sugar. Drink half cup of water mashed with 3-4 leaves of jamun tree. Take it for 6-10 days. Chew 3-4 leaves of jamun in morning and evening in the early stages.
* Take 60 grams of fresh ripe fruit of jamun and dip in 300 grams of boiling water and then cover it. Mash it after half an hour and then sieve. Divide in three parts and drink each part thrice a day.
* Regular intake of two tender leaves each of neem and bilva especially in morning reduces blood sugar.
* Soaked almonds when taken in the morning with an empty stomach are beneficial.
* Amla (Indian Gooseberry), due to its vitamin C content is highly effective in controlling diabetes. 22 A tablespoon of its juice, mixed with a cup of fresh bitter-gourd juice, taken daily for two months will secrete the pancreas and enable it to secrete insulin.
* Take ten tulsi leaves, ten neem leaves and ten belpatras with a glass of water early morning on an empty stomach. It will work wonders in keeping your sugar levels under control.
* Supplementation of cereals with gram is very beneficial. Make a chapatti of gram flour and barley flour.
* Soybean which is full of proteins, iron, calcium, vitamin A and fiber, and is considered to be beneficial for diabetic patients.
* Intake of water extract of Bengal grams enhances the utilization of glucose in both diabetic and normal persons.
* Regular moderate exercise also helps to control diabetes.
* Diabetes can also be controlled with specific yoga asana like shashankasana.
* A strict low calorie, low fat, and alkaline diet of high quality natural foods should be taken. Diabetic patients should avoid refined sugar.
* Celery, cucumbers, string beans, onion 24 and garlic are very beneficial for reducing blood sugar.
* 45-50 minutes to one hour walk every day helps normalize body weight, and corrects insulin resistance.