Coughing is one of the body ways to remove foreign material from the lungs and throat. The lungs and lower respiratory passages becomes sterile. It is the most common symptom when the airways become tight. There are generally two classifications of cough first is productive cough which produces mucus from the lungs and second is nonproductive cough, which is dry and doesnt produce any mucus from the lungs. It can affect the person of all ages and groups. It can be acute cough or chronic cough depending on its duration and condition. In scientific terms cough is a reflex action, started by stimulation of sensory nerves in the lining of the respiratory passages.
Causes of Cough
* Inflammation of larynx
* Due to Smoking
* Allergies such as dust, smoke, pollen grains, chemical fumes
* Due to Asthma
* Weather changes
* Fill black pepper powder with one cut lemon and salt then suck it to reduce the intensity of cough.
* Simple cold and cough can be cured with the grapes eating regular. They tone up the lungs and therefore work as expectorant.
* In winters eating garlic at night along with meals twice the week will provide cough relief.
* Mix pulp of Belleric Myrobalan fruit with long pepper and honey and then take this mixture twice or thrice in a day.
* A combination of honey with grape juice is highly beneficial for cough relief.
* Gargling with warm spinach juice is very helpful in dealing with dry cough.
* In case of dry cough mix half spoon of Cuscus grass (khas khas) in 3-4 teaspoons of coconut milk. Add one teaspoonfull of honey and drink at night before going to bed.
* Grind 100 grams of raisins with water and add about 100 grams of sugar and heat the mixture till it turns saucy. This sauce formed can be taken in a doze of 20 grams at bedtime daily.
* A tea made from aniseed (saunf) and holy basil (tulsi) should be taken regularly for immediate cough relief.
* Almonds are highly beneficial for patients that are suffering from dry cough. They should be soaked in water for sometime and a fine paste should be made after removing brown skin with 20 grams of butter and sugar. This paste should be taken twice a day.
* Chew 4 leaves of holy basil and 4 black peppers for cough relief and other respiratory system ailments.
* Extract the juice from the onions, mix it with honey and take it two or three times a day. It becomes good cough syrup.
* For immediate relief from cough crush one medium sized onion, add one lemon juice and one cup of boiling water. Honey should be added and drink this mixture 2-3 times a day.
* Boil 10 grams of Sprague in 500 grams of water for 20 minutes. Allow it to cool and then add two pinches of salt and gargle twice a day. This will clear excessive mucous and soothes the throat giving relief from cough.
* To prevent cough in winters drink water 2 hours before passing stools in morning and one hour after taking food.
* The root of turmeric should be roasted and then grinded in powder form. This powder should be taken twice daily in a doze of three grams.
Mixtures of Cough Soothing
* Carrot juice – Drink this when it is hot, as it will relieve the patient from cough and improve the general state of health.
* Essential oil of juniper- A fewdrops may be used in hot water for cough relief.