Common cold refers to the inflammation of the upper respiratory tract caused by viral infection. It occurs more often than any other diseases. It usually lasts for 6-10 days varying from one person to another. This is the most common problem among school going children who suffer eight times a year from this common cold. It mostly affects the nose but sometimes ears; bronchial tubes and sinuses are also affected.
* Lime is the most important among all the prevalent home remedies for common cold. Lime juice should be diluted in a glass of warm water with addition of the teaspoonful of honey. It is an ideal remedy both for cold and dry cough.
* Garlic soup and supplement is the best remedy for severe cold.
* Garlic oil combined with onion juice, diluted with water should be taken several times a day.
* Cut ginger into small pieces and then boil it in a cup of water. Strain the mixture and add half teaspoon of sugar and drink it only hot. Ginger tea is beneficial in treating cold.
* Mix half a teaspoonful of fresh turmeric powder in 30-35 grams of warm milk and drink it in short intervals for immediate relief from cold.
* A hot water bath is recommended as it relieves the patient from chest and nasal congestion.
* Hot packs are excellent for chest and head colds.
* Inhaling steam also provide relief from congested nasal tissues.
* Various yogasanas like bhujangasana, shalabhansana, dhanurasana are also very effective in treating cold.
* Steam with Vicks or Karvol is also effective
* Any warm drink soothes the whole respiratory tract.
* Boil 7 black peppers and 7 sugar balls in 200-250 grams of water. Stop boiling when one-fourth of water is left. Drink hot and cover the entire body for 10-15 minutes. Repeat this twice a day in the morning and evening.
* Take 10 grams of Sprague in a clean cloth and tie all ends of cloth. Heat this cloth in a vessel and then sniff this. This is the best remedy to remove nasal blockage.
Methods for comfort cold
* Lemon barley water – Cut the lemon in two pieces and then place it in a large jug with 2 tablespoons of barley. Pour the boiling water in jug, cover it and leave it overnight. The next morning strain that liquid and drink it with or without adding honey. This drink should be taken fresh so that it should be prepared daily.
* Lemonade – Wash the lemons and remove its rind without including white pith. Put the rind into a pan with half of water and the sugar. Bring it to the boil so that the sugar is dissolved. Cover the pan and simmer it for few minutes. Allow it to cool and then strain the mixture, add juice of lemon and remaining water from the jug. Drink it as without any additive.