The lack of sleep is known as insomnia and is termed as sleeplessness.Sleep is a periodic state of rest for the body, which is very important for its efficient functioning. It gives relief from tension and worries. The amount of sleep varies from one person to another. Normally 7-8 hours of sleep every night is normal. Insomnia deprives the person with mental rest and interferes with the daily activities.
Insomnia is a common problem that may be temporary or chronic. As many as one in 10 Americans have chronic insomnia, and at least one in four has difficulty sleeping sometimes. But that doesn’t mean you have to just put up with sleepless nights. Some simple changes in your daily routine and habits may result in better sleep.
Causes of insomnia
* Mental tension
* Any serious or chronic disease
* Excessive intake of tea and coffee
*Everyday anxieties as well as severe anxiety disorders may keep your mind too alert to fall asleep.
How much sleep do I need?
Most adults need about 7 to 8 hours of sleep each night. You know you’re getting enough sleep if you don’t feel sleepy during the day. The amount of sleep you need stays about the same throughout adulthood. However, sleep patterns may change with age. For example, older people may sleep less at night and take naps during the day.
Home Remedies for insomnia
* Various yogaasanas are effective in the treatment of insomnia and they are shirasana, sarvangasana, paschimottanasana, uttanasan, viparitakarni and shavasana.
* Controlled breathing is effective in inducing sleep.
* Regular, active exercises during the day and mild exercise at bedtime enhances the quantity and quality of sleep as the exercise stimulate the elimination of lactic acid from the body.
* To overcome the problem of insomnia one should stick to a regular sleeping schedule like going to bed at a fixed interval of time every night and getting up at a fixed time in the morning.
* Applications of hot packs, hot fomentations to the spine, and hot footbath before going to bed are the effective measures in Insomnia
* The cold hipbath with feet in hot water at bedtime is the also beneficial water treatment.
* A cup of milk with honey at bedtime is helpful in inducing sleep thus preventing Insomnia.
* Valerian wallichi has mild relaxant properties and is useful for sleep disorders.
*Try eating a light snack before going to bed, but don’t eat too much right before bedtime. A glass of warm milk or some cheese and crackers may be all you need.
* Milk or buttermilk
Anyone from the above two can be taken with a pinch of cinnamon and honey for inducing sleep.