Are you in the process of moving? If the answer is yes then sit back for a couple of minutes and pay attention. What I am about to reveal to you are seven strategies to help you become supremely organised for moving day.
Perhaps you know someone who could use some help like this, well do them a favour and tell them about this article. Right, lets get right to the meat.
Strategy 1 Choosing The Best Mover
Be organised about choosing your mover.
· Firstly, explore the different types of moving process available and choose the one that best suits your requirements. Different types of moving services include self-service, PODS, truck rental etc
· Obtain at least three written quotes.
· Examine the quotes carefully and read the small print, do not concentrate on the cheapest, ensure you fully understand exactly what type of service you will be paying for.
· If at all possible meet a representative from each company and ask questions to gain an overall impression as to the level of professionalism of the firm.
Strategy -2 Use A Moving Checklist
A moving checklist will help you to organise your moving tasks and the dates by which they need to be completed. You can create a simple checklist using a spreadsheet such as Excel by adding your key tasks and assigning dates and priorities. Display you moving checklist on a notice board in your home if other family members need to see it!
Strategy 3. Call In Favours From Family And Friends
If this is your first move dont be fooled into thinking its going to be a pushover. Furthermore, if you have very young children your time will be limited. This is a good time to call in the favours and get help when you really need it.
Strategy 4. Hire A Skip If Necessary
It is essential to begin packing as soon as you can. The first room you should start with is the attic (especially if you have lived in your current house for a number of years). By tackling this problem early you will probably realise that you have a lot of junk which is only fit for the local charity shop or junkyard. Do yourself a favour, hire a skip and remove all unwanted clutter from the house prior to moving. Not only will this save you money when move, it will also give you more space in the new house.
Strategy 5 Inform all necessary people of your change of address.
Whilst your buyers may be accommodating at the time and offer to forward on all mail to you, once you have left your old house they have no legal duty to do so. It is always worth paying a small charge to have your local post office direct all mail to your new address for three months or so following the date of your move. This is especially important given the increasing incidences of identity theft these days.
Strategy 6 Use Boxes For Packing
Pack your belongings in sturdy cardboard boxes with plenty of wrapping. So that your movers leave your boxes in the correct rooms in your new house, use the following marking system each box:
· Name the destination room for the box e.g. dining room.
· Give a rough description of what is in the box.
· Provide you movers with a plan of your new house on moving day so they know where to put your boxes.
Strategy 7 Be Prepared On Moving Day
On moving day make sure you are prepared with the following:
· Have both your mobile phone and digital camera fully charged and ready for use. Both may come in useful if the worse should happen and you need to make a record of any damage to your belongings.
· Make sure you have read your movers documentation thoroughly so that you understand your rights and obligations on the day of the move.
Even if you only adopt a few of the strategies given above, you will be well on your way to avoiding some of the common pitfalls that hundreds of people make a year when they move.