Liver is the second largest organ in our body and its area of function is so wide that it contributes a major part in keeping a body fit and healthy. Mainly a digestive organ, it helps in carbohydrate and fat metabolism. It also improves the immunity system of the body and stores some vitamins and minerals. Care should be taken to maintain a healthy liver as a damaged liver can endanger the life.
Symptoms of liver diseases
1. Pain and tenderness in the abdomen
2. Severe itching on the skin where there is no infection
3. Diseases like jaundice, cholestatis followed by dark urine, pale colored stools, bone loss
4. Pain in the pancreas and the enlargement of the gall bladder
5. Loss of appetite, nausea and sometimes mild fever may result due to malfunctioning of the liver.
Cause: The most common reasons for the liver diseases are due to unhealthy life style and faulty eating habits. Infections by the Hepatitis virus A, B and C can cause serious types of liver diseases. Prolonged intake of drugs, alcohol and other toxic substances damage the liver cells leading to liver diseases. Low immune system of the body can trigger certain liver diseases.
Liver diseases are alarming and life threatening if not controlled at the early stage or not treated properly. Treatments of liver diseases are generally done through natural processes as these are much more effective than the synthetic drugs.
1. Protein intake should be minimized in case of liver diseases as the liver has to work more in digesting protein.
2. More carbohydrates must be included in the daily diet. Rice is ideal in this case. The diet should be balanced with respect to the calorie intake including fat soluble minerals and fatty acids.
3. Low sodium intake is advised in liver diseases to prevent fluid retention.
4. Pomegranate is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. A glass of its juice every morning boosts the body immunity system.
5. Taking sugarcane juice in liver diseases is an excellent tonic as it strengthens the liver. The alkaline nature of the juice keeps the acid levels of the body low.
6. A concoction of pipal leaves (3-4 leaves) and sugar in a cup of water if taken twice daily helps in treating the liver disease.
7. Taking twice daily a mixture of papaya seeds with 10 drops of lemon juice is effective in liver diseases.
8. Chewing fennel seeds after the meals regularly is good for liver diseases.
Liver being one of the most important organs of our body, it is always advisable to protect it by eating healthy and doing moderate exercises regularly. Consuming too much alcohol and eating spicy and junk foods produce toxins that affect the liver to a great extent.