Leucoderma, also known as vitiligo. Vitiligo is a pigment skin disorder caused either due to destruction of melanin or retarded production. There isa evenl loss of pigment melanin from the skin layers which results in white patches. These patches look ugly, especially in persons with a dark complexion. The condition does not cause any organic harm. This disease is caused neither by any germs, nor is it due to bad blood. The problem usually starts with a small white spot and later on it develops into patches. These patches are pale in the beginning but become whiter and whiter as time passes due to loss of pigment. As spots enlarge, they merge into each other and, in course of time, form a very broad patch.
Leucoderma does not differentiate between races, religions or even socio-economic groups. Females are more commonly affected than males. The main causes of leucoderma are said to be excessive mental worry, chronic or acute gastric disorders, impaired hepatic function such as jaundice, worms or other parasites in the alimentary canal, typhoid, a defective perspiratory mechanism, and burn injuries. Heredity is also a causative factor and about 30 per cent of patients have a family history of the disorder. Treatment of vitiligo usually takes a long time. Medical treatment helps arrest the spread of depigmentation and in some cases, may bring back the pigmentation. The most commonly affected areas are face, neck, back, wrist, hand, groin, genitals, armpits, etc.
Homeopathy system offers reasonably positive treatment. Certain home remedies have been found useful in the treatment of leucoderma. Avoid fast foods, citrus fruits, coffee, tea, cold drinks, alcohol, beer, non-veg, egg, etc. Turmeric mixed with mustard oil has also proved useful in leucoderma. Use a mild soap while bathing. Avoid using creams, powders and any other cosmetic applications. Another useful remedy for leucoderma is red clay found by the river side or on hill slopes. The clay should be mixed in ginger juice and applied over the white spots once a day. A paste made from the seeds of the radish is valuable in treating leucoderma. The use of goose foot is beneficial in the treatment of this disease. This vegetable should be taken twice daily.
Leucoderma Home Remedies Treatment Tips
1. Turmeric mixed with mustard oil has also proved useful in leucoderma.
2. Goosefoot vegetable is considered valuable in treating white patches.
3. A paste made from radish seeds is extremely useful in treating leucoderma.
4. Grind harad in garlic juice and apply on white spots. Eating garlic will also help.
5. Try to avoid stimulating beverages like carbonated cold drink, coffee and tea.
6. Avoid fast foods, citrus fruits, coffee, tea, cold drinks, alcohol, beer, non-veg, egg, etc.
7. Eat figs regularly. Figs have healing property for Leucoderma.
8. Another useful remedy for Leucoderma is using the red clay.