The Case for Learning Latin Dance
A lot of people today are taking Latin dance lessons. They want to learn Latin dance for various reasons. Some may have watched the huge variety of movies focusing on Latin dance. Others may be influenced by watching one of the ever increasingly popular dance sport competitions. However, you need to know that there are very concrete advantages to learning Latin dance. Here are some of them:
1) Fitness – Latin dances are usually very vigorous, involving the movement of the whole body. This makes learning Latin dances an exercise far better than aerobics. The whole process will help you burn a lot of calories while learning a new skill. In fact, a large part of the people who learn Latin dance today does it for health. Making the extra effort to maintain a healthy body is very important today because of the number of diseases that come from unhealthy living.
2) Skill – Learning Latin dance takes a lot of skill. Of course, people do not start out as naturals in dancing. In fact, even the so-called naturals are not really naturally good. People who learn how to Latin dance all start out learning a few basic steps and then moving on to more complicated ones. This means people can acquire real skills in Latin dancing. This will help a person in more ways than one.
3) Social interaction – Learning Latin dance will help people interact better with their peers. By learning Latin dance, a person will have a new skill to help him or her meet new people. This is especially true in today’s culture of dance club socialization. People will be able to gain the confidence that they need to meet other people. They also gain a whole new respect for the opposite sex. Once you have moved in synchrony with another person, you begin to see people in a different light.
4) Coordination – Learning Latin dance will help you hone the coordination of your body’s movements. You will learn how to pay attention to muscles you have never known existed. You will be able to translate the movements of the dance into everyday movements, making you more graceful and more sensuous. If you are planning to take up martial arts, you should know that dancers have a great advantage in martial arts specifically because they learn how to pay attention to their bodily movements.
5) Confidence – By learning Latin dance, you will be acquiring a new skill. This skill involves a lot of you showcasing your movements. This will help you see yourself in a different light.
Whether we admit it or not, a lot of us suffer from low self esteem. By learning Latin dance, we are essentially giving ourselves the opportunity to know what we are capable of. We are essentially helping ourselves become better people. This brings out our confidence. This confidence can be channeled into our everyday activities. We can be more confident with out work, with our family and with life in general.
6) Competition – A lot of people learn Latin dance mainly because of its competitive aspect. Here, they are presented with a chance to do something they love and win prizes at the same time. The thrill of the competition and the applause of the audience fuels most dancers’ dreams.