Is A Perfect Swing Or A Strong Mental Game More Important?

I know what you are thinking. You want both, right? This combination is every golfers dream and for some people it is achieved for a certain amount of time. But even the best players in the World do not live this dream for 18 holes of golf day in day out.

If you as a golfer accept that your swing is not going to be perfect all of the time, then you need to know that you have something to fall back upon so as to be able to stay in the game. This “thing” is your mind.

Many amateur golfers unfortunately pay little heed to the infinite power of what lies between their ears. Instead they tend to focus their attention upon a range of physical or mechanical aspects of the game. It is easy to fall into this trap, as these aspects are more tangible.

Thus a golfer who knows that his or her long game is lacking in robustness will both work on those shots and also their short game so as to be able to compensate. In fact, almost every golfer will be heard to say that the short game is where you score. But this is still missing the most relevant point.

Think about how you feel and respond emotionally to a good or a bad shot. Your drive or tee shot sets you up for the hole. The ball flight is a thing of beauty and lands exactly where you want it to land. You feel great, right? Or alternatively, you hook or slice that little white ball and it ends up behind a tree, or out of bounds. You don’t feel so confident now, do you?

This happens in golf. You don’t hit perfect shots all of the time. In fact, you don’t hit perfect shots a lot of the time. Thus the most important thing a golfer has to be able to do is to shake off the effect of that last shot and get on with the next one with a clear, focused and confident mind.

Some games of golf present more of a test to your mental strength than others! It pays a golfer to have a whole tool-kit of mental skills to be able to apply in these different circumstances upon the golf course. In fact, every golfer should have at least as many different mental skills as they have different shots.

As the great golf teacher Jim Flick is quoted as saying, ‘Golf is 90% mental and the other 10% is too”.

Roseanna Leaton, golf addict and specialist in golf hypnosis mp3s and author of the GolferWithin golf mind training system.

P.S. Discover how to focus your golf mind and play winning golf through mental golf training. Check out my website now.