This article will present the steps that you need to follow in order to hunt coyotes legally. The most important things you will need are a weapon permit and orange clothing. Here are the steps you need to follow:
1. The very first thing any coyote hunter must do is to review the regulations that regard the use of hunting dogs during the coyote season. The coyote hunting regulations in most cases divide the fall season into periods of non-dog hunting and a limited period of time when hunting with dogs is allowed ( this greatly depends on the population of the coyote in that location and during that period ).
2. The next thing to do is to consult with local farmers that live in the hunting zone in order to find out the best way to catch coyotes legally. By doing so, you will be able to learn more about their travel patterns as well as feeding areas.
3. Once you kill a coyote you must report that you have killed it to the appropriate field officer in order to stay within the legal bounds for coyote hunting.
4. Look beyond the coyote hunting season to find other game seasons that allow you to hunt coyotes in a legal matter. The states with overpopulation of coyotes will post temporary hunting periods in order to get rid of these nuisance animals that in some areas cause a great deal of problems.
5. Acquiring information regarding stalking coyotes from the state wildlife office is imperative in order to hunt them legally as many states forbid this type of hunting in order to avoid accidents caused by friendly fire.
6. The weapon permit must be stored in the gun or the bow case before heading to the hunting zone. As part of the obligatory administrative process, most of the hunters need to show a gun, crossbow or bow permit as they register tagged coyotes.
7. As we have mentioned in the first paragraph, the orange clothing is obligatory. This is required in order to make your presence known in the field. Most states with coyote hunting regulations feature rules about the amount of hunting orange needed to fulfill your commitments as a responsible hunter.
8. In order to help you log your daily hunting activity, it is recommended to write down individual and group bag limits regarding coyote hunting. Although your state may not require a hunting log, they do recommend writing down the record of kills, strange animal behaviors and other similar issues in order to help the officials with the following year regulations.
All things considered, by following these 8 steps you will be able to hunt coyotes with no worries at all. Make sure that you check your local regulations regarding how to hunt coyotes legally as not all states have the same hunting regulations and more importantly; these regulations can suffer changes from year to year as the hunting conditions are affected by the hunting process.