A neck and shoulder massage helps you relax, particularly if you’ve been working at a desk all day. It relieves you from pain and stress and charges you with energy you were looking for after a heavy work schedule or an outdoor journey. In this article you will learn how to give a neck and shoulder massage to get relief from stress and tension.
Steps for neck and shoulder massage –
For massaging neck and shoulder your partner should be lying on his or her back. Uncover the chest by folding down the towel or blanket.
1. Apply oil to your partners chest, shoulders and neck.
2. Begin effleuraging by placing both hands on the upper chest, fingers facing towards each other. Now slowly pull your hands round the shoulders and under them, then bring your hands in to meet at the back of the skull. Repeat four or five times.
3. Gently knuckle the chest and shoulders in the sequence shown in the diagram on the left. To knuckle make your hands into relaxed fists, and move the knuckles make your hands into relaxed fist, and move the knuckles in circular movements. This sounds more difficult than it is.
4. Gently turn your partners head to one side. Stroke along the top of the shoulder and the side of the neck with your first three fingers. Repeat three times.
5. Repeat the above sequence, but circle your fingers this time. Do this three times.
6. Turn your partners head to the other side and repeat movements 4 and 5. Return the head to the centre.
7. Slide your hands down your partners back as far as you can comfortably reach. Find the groove each side of the spine with your fingers. Pull your hands up the spine with a little pressure on the groove each side. Repeat three times.
8. Now you are going to stretch the neck these movements stretch out the muscles of the shoulders and neck and ease tension. If your partner is relaxed you will take all the weight of the head. If he or she is tense, go easy and make the movements slow and gentle. You dont want any pulled muscles.
9. Cup both hands under your partners head, your fingers resting in the base of the skull. Lift the head slightly gently pull towards you. Lower the head slowly repeat.
10. Hold the back of the head in one hand and move it slowly towards the left shoulder while gently pressing down on the right shoulder with your other hand. Bring the head back to the centre and then repeat on the other side.
Finish with some effleurage movements as you began.
Note: This massage shouldn’t be done on anyone with injuries to their shoulder or neck.
Hope you have now learned how to get relief from stress and tension with this natural method of pain relief.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.