When you think of barbeque cooking, this normally brings up thoughts about having a party for friends and neighbors. This happens even though most people do not have either the equipment or experience to cook for large groups of people. Here are some tips to help you with your these (primarily) summer activities.
Some Helpful Tips and Advice
1. Make sure you have the right equipment before attempting to cook for a large group. There are many different types of barbequing devices that can be used for your gathering. You can find a unit that is right for you if you visit the local hardware store as they normally have a large selection. This will include units that will use charcoal, gas or electric. They range from portable or disposable to built in brick and mortar units. Just get the one that you feel provides the ability to cook the amount and types of food you plan on serving.
2. If you plan on cooking for a large group, you may consider pre-cooking some of the food. You could then just drop these items on your grill to add the finishing touches. Like the taste of that great sauce you have created or the smoky flavor from the pecan chips. Also, it is a good idea to stay with two or three main course dishes and then compliment them with salads and breads.
3. Explore the many barbeque recipes that are available for the many different types of food that is great fresh off of the grill. These include chicken wings, great burgers (either beef, buffalo or vegetarian), spare ribs, and chicken. With a little creativity, you will be able to deliver a meal that will have them coming back for seconds!
4. Another way to ensure that your meal will be a success is to marinate the meat in advance. Some of the recipes you find will tell you how long this should happen but, in my opinion, the shortest time will be overnight. This will allow the flavor to soak into the meat and provide a fantastic taste to your guests.
5. Contrary to some thought, food from the barbeque does not have to be black on the outside and pink on the inside. You do not need a super hot fire to cook your food quickly. It is better to cook your food over a source that is not flaming up and that will cook evenly. If you are using charcoal, it may take 30 minutes to get the fire right. A good way to tell if it is right is a visual examination. A good charcoal fire will be starting to turn a dusty grey color and give off a reddish glow.
6. Another thing to keep in mind is that you do not need to “play with your food”. Buy this I mean you should trim excess fat, do not poke the meat a lot and do not flip it every two minutes. Let the meat cook without being pushed around a lot.
7. Another key that is not mentioned much is that you should be very carful with the type of lighter you use for the charcoal. Make sure that you do not use toxic materials (some lighter fluids are) to start your charcoal. Using this type of material may cause toxins and bad taste to penetrate your food.
By following a few simple tips, you will be able to serve up some great barbeque meals. It just takes some simple preparation and attention to detail and you will be come an expert at barbeque cooking.