Did you ever think that someday you would compare insurance quotes from the privacy of your own home? I bet you never thought that you would compare insurance quotes from a Panera Bread or WIFI hotspot. What a great world we live in these days. We can accomplish almost everything we need to sustain life-online.
Lets talk briefly about attaining car insurance. The main tip for buying your insurance online is to compare insurance quotes and compare policy content. This can be quite easy as there are websites that will do the work for you.
Just keep some things in mind while you compare insurance quotes:
Decide on what you “must” have You need to decide what best suites your familys needs in the policy you are shopping for. Know the limits you need and any of the extra riders you may want on your policy before you start to compare insurance quotes.
Be completely honest Your insurance company will want to know about that “fender bender” you may have had last month or the speeding ticket your teenage daughter received. Don’t try and lie about these items, they will run a DMV history on each driver on your policy and find out anyway.You dont want to risk them increasing your rates after youve already attained the policy because you omitted some important details. So, be smart when you compare insurance quotes.
Consider taking defensive driver courses There are courses that your states DMV offers that are usually reasonably priced (under $50.00) and only take a few hours to complete. Completing these courses will make your insurance company much happier and will lower your premiums. Take the whole family along – it cant hurt to teach your teenagers a thing or two about safe driving.
Know the key items that will trigger discounts Of course every insurance carrier is different and will offer different details on your policy. There are some common items that most carriers will provide discounts for and it would be in your best interest to learn those.
I had been recently interested in possibly changing my insurance carrier to see if I could save some money, so I figured I would compare insurance quotes and see who was the cheapest. While I was talking on the phone to my current carrier, Progressive, I found out about three different programs that I could implement that would save me money.
After speaking with the agent, I ended up saving $125.00 a year from the three items I had changed. The great thing about the changes I made is that they wont affect me in anyway.
Read further for a few ways you can save when you compare insurance quotes.
- Paying your premium in full for the year will create a cheaper premium. All insurance companies offer several options to make payments on your insurance policy but will charge you extra for the luxury of having those payments.
- Giving all your business to one company can lower your premium. If you have a motorcycle, boat, motor home or other item you need to insure it will provide a good bargaining tool that you can negotiate with a carrier to get lower premiums.
- Clean driving records are a great way to save money. Your tickets, accidents or other motor vehicle infarctions will remain on your record for 3 years and your insurance company will increase the premiums as they view you as a risky driver.
- If you cannot get your teen driver to study, here is a good way to encourage them. A lot of insurance companies will offer a discount for teen drivers if they maintain an A-B average in school. You can make your teen responsible to pay the difference the insurance company will charge you if they do not sustain an A-B average.
- I recently found out that my insurance carrier, Progressive, offers a discount if I chose to be paperless. This means you no longer receive those pages and pages of policy information that you never read anyway. You can easily log onto the carriers website to print up any needed documents. We all need to do our part to save a few trees and this will save a tree and will save a few pennies.
Of course there are many more discount opportunities; you should do your homework before you compare insurance quotes. Being prepared with knowledge is going to give you leverage when it comes time to haggle with your carrier.