For millions of people who suffer from arthritis, most turn to pain relievers. Reliable pain relief is a vital concern. The agonizing feeling by simply walking up the stairs is discouraging and can drive patients to be depressed. Arthritis is a general term applied to inflammatory processes in the joints and muscles. It’s a complex disorder that comprises more than 100 distinct conditions and can affect people at any stage of life. Arthritis (from Greek arthro – joint + itis – inflammation) is a group of conditions that affect the health of the bone joints in the body. Arthritis can be caused from strains and injuries caused by repetitive motion, sports, overexertion, and falls.Arthritic joints can be sensitive to weather changes. The increased sensitivity is thought to be caused by the affected joints developing extra nerve endings in an attempt to protect the joint from further damage.
Types of arthritis
There are over 80 types of arthritis but the two most common are osterasthritis and rheumatoid. Osterasthritis is a condition that denotes natural wear and tear of joints which often follows ageing. Persons who have suffered injuries previously, either through accidents or sports, farming occupation are the most sufferers. It rarely occurs in young age but is quite common as the age advances. The wear and tear of joints is a natural sequence. Rheumatoid is an auto-immune disorder where synovial membranes that line the joints, get inflamed and thickened, leading to pain and deformity of joints. It is often called “cooked food disease”.
The main symptoms of osteoarthritis are pain and stiffness in the joints. The pain usually increases after exercise. Rheumatoid arthritis is often called the ‘cooked food disease’. lt usually develops gradually over several months, with persistent pain and stiffness in one or more joints. Ultimately the whole body is affected. Symptoms include anaemia, colitis, constipation, deformed hands and feet.
This ailment is caused due to the aggravation of Vata (air) dosha and accumulation of Ama (toxins). Ama gets deposited in the weak areas of the body, joints with a simultaneous aggravation of Vata that is known as Ama Vata (arthritis).
Weak digestion, constipation, overeating and very little physical activity are the symptoms that can develop in a patient of arthritis.
Home remedies for arthritis
1. Dandalion is the remedy of choice–its leaf has diuretic quality that increases output from the kidneys, while its root is a mild laxative and liver tonic that helps preventing constipation. Make infusion of its leaves and decoction from its root, and use both for about 7 days. One of the most popular home remedies for arthritis.
2. One raw of clove garlic every day, garlic boosts the immune system and can really help decrease the pain of arthritis.
3. To relieve extreme pain Meadowsweet is recommended. Nettle and Meadowsweet infusions can be used for the purpose.
4. A great Home Remedy for Arthritis which is suggested by many users involves the consumption of 1 cup of fresh pineapple juice, as it helps in minimizing the swelling and inflammation in arthritis.
5. Lime has also been found beneficial as a home remedy for arthritis. The citric acid found in lime is a solvent of uric acid which is the primary cause of some types of arthritis. The juice of one lime, diluted with water, may be taken once a day, preferably first thing in the morning..
6. Drinking water kept overnight in a copper container also serves good purpose. This water has traces of copper, which helps strengthen the muscular system. For the same reason wearing a copper ring or bracelet will also help.
7. Another great home remedy for arthritis involves the consumption of 1 cup of fresh pineapple juice, as it helps in minimizing the swelling and inflammation in arthritis.
8. Warm coconut oil or mustard oil, mixed with two or three pieces of camphor should be massaged on stiff and aching joints.
9. Dilute five drops of essential oil of ginger in 20 drops of a carrier oil such as wheat germ or almond oil (obtainable from health shops), and massage into painful areas. This Home Remedy for Arthritis is also suggested by many users.