Sunburn means the burning of the skin due to the exposure to ultraviolet rays of the sun. Sunburn causes a lot of itching, discomfort to the skin.
Sunburn is literally a burn on your skin. It is a burn from ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The consequence of this burn is inflammation of the skin. Injury can start within 30 minutes of exposure.
Signs and symptoms usually occur after 2-6 hours of exposure and peak at 12-24 hours, they may include:
* Erythema (redness)
* Oedema (swelling)
* Tenderness and/or irritation
* Skin feels hot to touch
* Blistering (severe cases)
* Chills and fever (severe cases)
Home Remedies for Sunburn
* Application of any cream containing vitamin E to the affected areas reduce itching.
* Milk is the best remedy for any kind of burns. Applying the cloth to the burn dipped in milk will provide relief from sunburn.
* Applying ice to the area will be beneficial.
* Rub the area with mustard oil and leave for sometime. It will pull out the heat from the affected area providing relief from itching and redness.
* Keeping cold tea bags on the area will remove tanning from the sunburns.
* Make a mixture by mixing, yogurt, turmeric and barley, and apply this mixture on the affected area.
* Sliced pieces of raw cucumber or potato when applied to the affected area reduce inflammation of the skin and helps to prevent sunburn.
* Pouring one cup of white cider vinegar to the bathtub provide relief from sunburns.
* Applying lavender essential oil to the area reduce pain and itching.
* Put one small box of baking soda to the bathtub and immerse the body in it. It will provide relief from burns.
* Application of sandal wood paste to the area provide relief from the burning sensation.
* Taking a bath of tide laundry detergent provide relief from sunburn blisters.
* Make a mixture of one part tomato juice and 6 parts buttermilk and apply it to the affected areas and wash it after 25-30 minutes.
* Apply a mixture of one part olive oil and one part vinegar to the affected areas and wash it after an hour.
* Before going out in sun its always better to apply sunscreen lotion on skin to prevent tanning and sunburns.
* Applying aloe Vera gel to the affected area provide relief from sunburn.
* Make mixture of wheat flour mixed with milk, olive oil, or barley flour, honey, and raw egg white paste. It will be a best facial for sunburn skin.
* Lotions containing lanolin should be avoided before going out in sun to prevent sunburn.
* Boil some lettuce in water, allow the liquid to cool and then strain it. Then apply this to the affected area with cotton balls.