Depression is an illness that involves both body and mind(thoughts). It is not like physical weakness that will vanish within days but its the state that interferes with the daily chores of life resulting in poor performance or output. It give rise to a negative feeling for each and every thing. It can be due to emotional or mental stress and strain or due to high intake of antibiotics. The major risk in extreme cases of depression is suicide or attempt to suicide.
Types of Depression
* Bipolar Disorder: It is known as manic-depressive illness and is not only the common one. It is usually characterized with frequent changes of mood sometimes leading to high depression and sometimes low.
* Major Depression: This type of depression may occur only once but commonly occurs several times in life span. It usually interferes with the normal routine of ones life like work, eating patterns, sleep and other entertainment activities.
* Dysthymia: It is a less severe type of depression that shows chronic symptoms and is not washed with the time but interfere with the well functioning, good and bad moods of the person.
Causes of Depression
* Early life experiences
* Environmental factors
* Deficiency of vitamin B complex
* Genetic causes
* Biochemical causes
* Hormonal changes
* Trauma and stress
* Other physiological disorders like anxiety disorders and also eating disorders
* Add some fresh Rose petals in the cup of boiling water. Add sugar and drink it whenever feeling depressed.
* An Apple eaten with milk and honey is good enough to uplift a mood.
* Powder the seeds of 2 green cardamoms in cup. Add to 1 cup of boiling water, add sugar and drink this tea twice in a day.
* A neutral immersion bath for one hour daily is helpful in the treatment of depression.
* Various yogic asanas such as halasana, paschimottanasana, sarvangasana, shavasana, shalabhasana, vakrasana and pranayamas like kapalbhati, bhastrika are highly beneficial in the treatment of depression.
* Relaxation and meditation are also effective measures in depression treatment. The best method of relaxation is to practice shavasana . Meditation involves training the mind to remain fixed on a particular external or internal locations.
* Diet has a profound effect on the depression treatment. So, the diet of a depressed person should be well balanced as the single nutritional deficiency can aggravate the situation.
Some foods for depressed people
* Herbal Teas
Infuse one tablespoon of chamomile in one cup boiling water.
* Another domestic remedy for depression is a tea made of Holy Basil and sage. Use ¼ teaspoon holy basil and ½ teaspoon of sage per cup of hot water; drink twice a day.
* Orange juice
Drink fresh orange juice in morning time with breakfast.
Almonds are a good food for the brain. Ten to eleven almonds should be immersed in water overnight and taken with outer skins removed.