Dandruff refers to the flaking scalp, which falls like snow flakes and sometimes settles on ones shoulders, face, eyebrows and clothes also. In the case of excessive formation of scales on scalp there is an irritating condition that is associated with bacteria. Dandruff is generally believed to be infections that can spread by use of common towels, combs, soaps, hairbrushes etc. Two types of dandruff are:
* Dry dandruff
* Waxy dandruff
An itchy scalp characterize dry dandruff and small white scales are usually attached to that scalp or are loosely scattered in the hair. The waxy dandruff occurs when the scaliness of the epidermis is mixed with sebum, which causes it to stick to the scalp.
Causes of Dandruff
The various contributing factors in the cause of dandruff are:
* Poor nutrition
* Deficiency of zinc
* Fungus (malassezia furfur)
* Yeast infections
* High use of alkaline soaps
* High use of shampoos
* Hot steam bath is very beneficial for the hair and scalp. Massage hot oil and then wrap a hot damp towel on the head for few minutes.
* Immerse peels of lemon in coconut oil for 8-10 days in sunshine. Now sieve it and apply on the hair. This makes the hair dandruff free.
* Hot oil therapy is the best method to dandruff cure. Massage hot oil into the scalp at bedtime. Next morning an hour before the bath, rub lemon juice mixed with cosmetic vinegar into the scalp with cotton wool. Wash your hair properly and as a last rinse use the juice of one lemon in a cup of hot water. Continue this treatment once or twice in a week for three months.
* Mix two tablespoons of cosmetic vinegar and then add it six tablespoons of hot water. Dab this with cotton on scalp and leave it overnight. Next morning wash the hair with the shampoo.
* Mix beetroot juice in vinegar and apply on scalp. Ginger juice and beetroot juice mixed together and applied on the scalp are beneficial.
* Massage your scalp with the mixture of olive oil and almond oil; leave it for five minutes after you feel the burning sensation. Rinse properly for a dandruff free hair.
* Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Grind the softened seeds in the morning, then apply this paste on the scalp and leave it for half an hour. Then wash you hair with ritha solution or shikakai
* Cider vinegar added to the final rinsing water after shampooing helps to prevent dandruff.
* Exposure of the head to the rays of the sun is also useful measure in the treatment of dandruff.
* Warm 300-350 grams of coconut oil with 3-4 grams of black pepper. When it starts boiling stop heating, sieve it with a fine cloth and keep in a bottle. Massage with fingertips in the night gently.
* The use of a teaspoon of fresh lime juice for the last rinse while washing hair is very beneficial. It leaves the hair glowing and also removes stickiness and prevents dandruff.
* Mash beetroot leaves in henna paste and then apply on the head to prevent dandruff and hair fall.
* Rub the juice of snake gourd on the scalp for the treatment of dandruff.
* Massage the hair for half an hour with curd which has been left open for 3-4 days or with few drops of lime juice mixed with amla every night before going to bed.
* Application of processed henna once in 15-16 days helps to prevent dandruff. Boil equal amounts of amla and shikakai powder in water and then allow it to cool. Now mix henna powder, very small amount of fenugreek and roasted clove powder, a little lemon juice and egg.
* Wash the hair with green gram powder in curd twice in a week.
* Beat two eggs and add two tablespoons of water in it. Wet the hair and apply that egg mixture over the hair. Now massage your scalp and let the mixture on for 15-20 minutes. Then rinse hair with the lukewarm water. This will keep both dandruff problem and hair fall problem away from you.
* Meats, strong tea or coffee, processed fruits, candies, soft drinks, pickles should be avoided.
* Emphasis should be on raw foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, sprouted seeds, raw nuts and whole grain cereals.
Massaging mixtures for treating dandruff
* Apple juice tonic
Mix together 1 tablespoon of pure apple juice and 3 tablespoon of warm water and massage into the scalp three times in a week.
* Rosemary and borax
Mix 5 tablespoons of strong rosemary infusion with the pinch of borax and massage it into the scalp daily.