Constipation refers to the infrequent bowel movement, incomplete evacuation of bowel, decrease in the volume or weight. It also refer to passage of small amounts of hard and dry bowel movements. It is the disturbance in the digestive tract that gives rise to many other ailments in the body system. The infrequent bowel movement does not allow the removal of toxins produced in the body system. As a result they find their way in the blood stream from where they enter all parts of body causing malfunctioning of the body parts.
Causes of constipation
* Low fiber diet
* Low intake of fluids
* Some particular diseases like hyperacidity, diabetes, colitis, sluggish liver and tumors
* Weak abdominal muscles
* Irregular meals
* Incomplete chewing of foods
* High intake of refined food
Home Remedies for constipation cure
* Regular drinking of water is beneficial for cleaning the system. Normally 7-8 glasses of water are recommended for digesting and dissolving the food nutrients.
* Eating chapatti made from wheat (two parts) and roasted black gram powder (one part) along with their husk is beneficial.
* Walking four or five kms. after dinner is very beneficial as it helps in the digestion of food.
* Half cup cabbage juice taken twice daily is beneficial for constipation cure.
* Mango is a natural reliever of constipation cure.
* Dip 10-14 dry grapes without seeds in milk and then boil the milk. Drink the milk separately and after that chew that grapes. This is more beneficial when taken at night.
* Chronic constipation can be cured with high intake of figs dipped in water and taken in the morning time.
* Dates with milk also relieve constipation.
* Dip two teaspoonfuls of Spiegel seeds in water for 5-6 hours, add equal amount of sugar and take this with water at night.
* Drinking water, which has been kept overnight in the copper vessel in the morning with empty stomach, will give immediate relief from constipation
* Dip Spiegel seeds 5-10 grams in 200 grams of warm milk. Add sugar and take this during night.
* Daily intake of guava with empty stomach in the morning is highly beneficial.
* 3-4 teaspoonfuls of castor oil also relieve constipation.
* Carrot juice when mixed with spinach juice gives immediate relief from constipation.
* A teaspoon of linseed taken with water before each meal provides bulk and lubrication, therefore curing constipation.
* The juice of two or three oranges taken in the morning with empty stomach for 8-10 days relieves constipation.
* 2-3 teaspoons of almond oil taken with milk during night for 3-4 days also relieves constipation.
* 4 grams of triphala powder when taken with 200 grams of warm water or milk also relieves constipation.
* Charaka in Ayurveda states that by using this recipe continuously for one year, one can live for a hundred years, free from aging and diseases
* Vajrasana is one of the yogasanas beneficial for constipation cure.
* Drinking hot water with sour lime juice and half of teaspoon of salt is also an effective remedy for constipation.
Gentle aperients for persons suffering from constipation
* Rose petal jelly: Take 100 g of white rose petals and then cut the base. Place one tablespoon lemon juice, two tablespoon orange juice, two tablespoon clear honey, 400g white cane sugar and 120 ml water in a stainless pan. Leave it till the sugar gets dissolved. Now add the rose petals and heat with continuous stirring till the petals appear to dissolve. Allow this mixture to cool and seal when it is cold. In take of one teaspoon daily and regularly will enhance the bowel movement.
* Peach blossom drink: One teaspoon of dried peach blossoms infused in a cup of boiling milk should be drunk twice daily for immediate relief from constipation