The word arthritis means inflammation of joints. It comes from two Greek words, athron meaning joints and itis meaning inflammation. It is a chronic disease. In the early stages, the whole body is usually involved and one or two joints may become completely deformed, leaving the patient handicapped and somewhat weakened. It is mostly seen in the elderly. Inflammation is the main feature of arthritis, which is a reaction of the joint tissues to some form of damage or injury and it highly affects joints and bones.
Types of Arthritis
The most common forms of arthritis are:
* Osteoarthritis : It is the most common degenerative joint disease and occurs after the age of 40 or 50. In this the bones increase in size and the space between them decreases, making the bones rub against each other which causes pain.
* Rheumatoid Arthritis: It is a serious disease that can occur at any stage of life cycle. It is more disastrous than osteoarthritis as it destroys the ligaments and tendons that join the bones and muscles.
* Gout : Gout or metabolic arthritis and is caused by an excess of uric acid that accumulates in the system forming crystals that are caught in the spaces between the joints and cause inflammation and irritation. An excruciating pain is created in thumb, knee or elbow and most commonly the big toe.
Causes of Arthritis
* Joint Instability : Severe or recurrent joint injury from heavy physical activity, excess overweight-excessive body weight, exercise activities such as long-distance running, basketball, etc. performed over many years will result in the development of arthritis.
* Hormonal Factors : Higher proportion of women suffers from this disease as compare to men due to the hormonal changes that take place during the menopause.
* Environmental Factors : Like some are of the view that damp conditions increases the possibility of arthritis.
* Psychological Factors like stress that disturbs the bodys hormonal balance and makes the immune system weak.
* Food Allergy : A diet rich in animal products, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and wheat.
* Nutrient Deficiency : Calcium, magnesium, manganese, protein and essential fatty acids.
Home Remedies for Arthritis
* Wrap red flannel gently around painful joint and leave it overnight for Arthritis cure.
* A gentle massage with warm olive oil is very effective to relieve arthritis pain.
* For arthritis cure dilute Garlic, Juniper, Lavender, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, or Sassafras oils in the proportions of one part to 10 parts of olive oil and use it to massage the painful joints for immediate relief.
* The patient should be given a lukewarm enema for a few days to cleanse the bowels, as the first step to prevent arthritis is to relieve constipation.
* Steam baths and body massage are beneficial in the arthritis treatment.
* All general cold-water treatments, such as cold baths and cold sprays, should be avoided in arthritis treatment.
* An extra supplement of calcium, zinc and vitamin C is recommended in arthritis cure.
* Sea bathing is considered beneficial in the arthritis treatment.
* The first thing in the morning is to have fresh juice extracted from potatoes and diluted with water on 50:50 bases for arthritis treatment.
* Rub the aching joints with hot vinegar before going to bed to cure arthritis.
* Dandelion leaf has diuretic quality that increases output from the kidneys, while its root is a mild laxative and liver tonic that enhances bowel movement and helps in arthritis treatment.
* Circulation around the joints can be improved through tissue-cleansing properties of essential oils, of Juniper, Cypress and Lemon, whereas oils of Lavender, Rosemary and Chamomile have mild analgesic and high anti-inflammatory properties.
* Take four peeled pieces of garlic, and two grams of sprague. Powder both and dip in 30 grams of mustard oil and heat slowly. Massage daily with this oil on pains as this helps in arthritis treatment.
* For arthritis cure take 10 grams of camphor and 200 grams of mustard oil. Mix in a glass bottle and close with a tight cork and keep the bottle in the sun till the camphor dissolves. Massage the affected area daily.
* In arthritis treatment Epsom salt (4 tbsp) should be added to bathing water, to reduce inflammation and stiffness of joints.
* For arthritis treatment a gentle massage with Arthcare Oil (Anti-Inflammatory) is recommended to relieve arthritis pain and to strengthen the bone tissues, the skeletal and the neuromuscular systems, giving a comfortable movement of joints and muscles.