By 2025, researchers in the field of hypertension estimate that almost a third of all adults globally will suffer the symptoms of high blood pressure. Already, hypertension is a major health problem in the U.S., affecting one in four adults. Two-thirds of African-Americans need high blood pressure treatment. High blood pressure causes heart failure, heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, and even death. The need for high blood pressure treatment is, therefore, of vital importance. But what works? And how can we reduce the symptoms of high blood pressure?
DASH for Hypertension
Studies indicate that the DASH diet is consistently effective as a high blood pressure treatment. DASH stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. DASH is such an effective high blood pressure treatment that it compares favorably to prescription drugs, especially in patients displaying stage I symptoms of high blood pressure. Steady adherence to DASH as a treatment for high blood pressure means one can potentially avoid prescription drug treatment and as well as common side effects of traditional high blood pressure treatment. Ask your doctor.
DASH as a high blood pressure treatment is an eating plan low in saturated fat, total fat, and cholesterol. DASH is based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet emphasizing:
– fruits (4-5 servings/day)
– vegetables (4-5 servings /day)
– no-fat/low-fat dairy (2-3 servings /day)
– whole grains, whole-grain breads/crackers (7-8 servings /day)
– meat, fish, poultry (2 or less/day)
– legumes, seeds, nuts (4-5 servings/week)
– less fat/oil (2-3 servings/day)
– less red meat
– less sugary snacks/sodas (5 servings or less/week)- less sugary snacks/sodas (5 servings or less/week)
DASH can prevent the need for any high blood pressure treatment in those who do not yet suffer from hypertension.
Risk factors of heart disease, which include hypertension, high cholesterol, smoking and diabetes, also increase the risk of dementia in the aged, and perhaps development of Alzheimers. This makes treatment of high blood pressure even more imperative.
Supplements for the Symptoms of High Blood Pressure
Certain nutrients are associated with reducing the symptoms of high blood pressure, including potassium, calcium, magnesium, and fiber, and herbs such as garlic, hawthorn and reishi.
Other High Blood Pressure Treatments
Besides DASH and supplementation, high blood pressure treatment can include:
– Less salt (1,500 milligrams per day)
– Weight loss if overweight (even losing 10 pounds is a natural treatment of high blood pressure)
– Decreased daily alcohol intake (one ounce for women and (two ounces for men)
– Daily physical activity (30-40 minutes, moderate activity like fast walking)
– Quit smoking (this will reduce your chances of a stroke or heart.
– Stress management techniques such as biofeedback, hypnosis or relaxation tapes, yoga/meditation, and acupuncture.
These changes may not be sufficient as high blood pressure treatment, in which case, you will need medication. If you keep up the DASH diet and other suggestions for natural treatment of high blood pressure, it may help medication work more effectively so youre able to take a lower dose, under medical supervision.
Hypertensive patients of all ages who receive high blood pressure treatment live longer, healthier lives. Listening to advice may not be enough to make these lifestyle changes on your own. For example, commitment to daily exercise is easier with a walking partner. Start with these tips and youre well on your way to an effective treatment of high blood pressure!