Overweight and obesity are modern age health disorders that have affected millions all over the world. Overweight or obesity is dangerous in the sense as these invite all sorts of chronic diseases like high blood pressure, high blood sugar, respiratory problems which may lead to a regular intake of a good number of pills and drugs for the rest of the life.
Daily mounting stress, work load, tensions increases the craving for foods and coupled with sedentary life style things like overweight and obesity seems to go out of control putting the figure out of shape followed by a chain of physical disorders. Unhealthy eating habits results due to the frequent cravings of food and so calorie intake becomes much higher than burning it out.
Can herbs help in weight loss?
There is no specific drug available than guarantees of weight loss. This weight loss can be achieved only by adopting natural methods and some herbs do help in reducing weight by controlling the chemical reactions within the body.
1. Green tea – Taking extracts of green tea twice daily before breakfast and lunch help in the burning of fat. But one should be cautious not to take more of this tea.
2. Guggul, a popular herb in Ayurveda is known to reduce blood cholesterol and also helps in significant weight loss within three months.
3. Aloe vera juice helps in improving the digestion and cleaning the digestive tract. Proper digestive function helps in weight loss.
4. Coconut oil is a rich source of medium chain triglycerides (MCT) but they do not lead in weight gain but help in weight loss by increasing thermo genesis (heat production).
5. Fenugreek seeds help in weight reduction by dissolving the liver fat.
6. Kelp is seaweed that is rich in vitamins, antioxidants and iodine. It is helpful in reducing thyroid related obesity and helps in the boosting of metabolism.
7. Plantain seeds or Psyllium has spongy fiber (mucilage) and polyphenols in the leaves. Taking these seeds regularly sheds a good amount of body weight especially in the women.
8. Malabar tamarind is a yellowish fruit containing lipogenic inhibitor that prevents the production of fat.
9. Evening primrose contains Tryptophan which aids in weight loss. Taking half teaspoon of primrose oil daily thrice a day gives good results.
10. Dandelion reduces the craving for sweets and also helps in detoxification which in turn reduces the body weight. Taking leaves of Dandelion raw in salad or drinking tea of its roots helps in weight loss.
It has to be kept in mind that only herbal therapies will not lead to the desired weight loss. Change in life style, physical work outs and healthy diets must be followed along with these herbal therapies to yield the best results.