Diabetes is one such chronic disease that a large number of people are coming under its clutches with each passing day almost assuming an epidemic proportion. It can be said that the incidence of this disease is directly proportional to the modernization of the life style where most of the physical activities are effortless. This is saving time but at the cost of one’s health.
Diabetes is a condition where the blood sugar level rises abnormally due to the underproduction of insulin or malfunctioning of the pancreas. This can lead to serious damages of vital organs leading to stroke, kidney failure and paralysis if not controlled.
Sedentary life style, obesity, stress are the main causes of this disease; sometimes genetic factors also play a major role. Increase in hunger, thirst, frequent urination, fatigue is observed initially following with an abrupt loss in body weight.
Herbs can control diabetes
Diabetes if detected in a person cannot be cured but can be controlled by proper medication and natural herbs can be the best medicine if they are administered regularly along with a healthy lifestyle. But it is important to check the blood sugar levels often to test the effectiveness of any treatment.
1. Cinnamon has insulin like properties. It also reduces blood cholesterol and triglycerides which are also important factors for Type 2 Diabetes. A half teaspoon of cinnamon powder daily in diet can reduce the blood glucose level.
2. Bitter gourd has some compounds that help in lowering blood sugar levels. Taking its juice early morning in empty stomach can give desired results.
3. Onion has a compound that is capable of blocking the breakdown of insulin and also stimulates the pancreas in insulin production. It gives good results whether eaten in raw or boiled form.
4. Fenugreek seeds widely used as spice in different Indian recipes can lower the blood sugar levels. A teaspoonful of the powdered seeds if taken with a glass of water daily helps in the treatment.
5. Asian ginseng is traditionally used by the Chinese to treat Diabetes. This herb stimulates the pancreas to produce insulin and increase the number of insulin receptors. These help in lowering the blood glucose levels.
6. Blueberry leaves has given remarkable results in ridding the body of excess blood glucose. Soaking few leaves in hot water and drinking 3 cups a day can produce good results.
7. Gingko biloba is a popular herb to treat various diseases. Extract of its leaves may have good results in treating diabetes at the early stage.
Herbal medications are useful in treating diabetes, as it is devoid of any additional chemical constituents producing no side effects, but also treat other disorders at the same time. Along with medicine diabetes needs enough physical workouts and a healthy nutritious diet which must be given due importance.