The term eczema is derived from a Greek word which means to boil. It refers to inflammation of skin, which results in the formation of pustules on the skin from which sometimes there is a discharge of clear fluid and it is the most chronic skin disorder. It is serious during infancy but improves by early adulthood. It causes itching, redness, dryness and flakiness of the skin. It is also known as atopic dermatitis. Most commonly it appears on the hands, wrists, arms, neck, face, upper chest and back of the knees. It is not a contagious disease.
Causes of eczema
The various causes of eczema are:
* Varicose veins
* Failure of the system to excrete the poisons from the body.
* Faulty body metabolism
* Cold and dry weather
* Nutritional deficiencies
Home Remedies for Eczema
* Coconut oil can be applied to the portions with eczema. It helps the skin to remain soft.
* A light mudpack applied over the place of eczema is very beneficial.
* Sunbathing is beneficial as it kills the harmful bacteria.
* Water treatments have been proved useful in treating eczema like cold compress or cold wet fomentations.
* Soaps, chemicals and other drying agents should not be used.
* Application of spearmint leaf juice reduces eczema.
* Mash almond leaves in water and apply on the area, it will help in the treatment of eczema.
* Add 1 teaspoon camphor to 1 teaspoon sandalwood paste and then apply on the affected eczema areas.
* Rub nutmeg against a smooth stone with a few drops of water. Make a smooth paste and apply.
* Boil 200 grams of mustard oil in iron vessel. In the boiling oil add 50 grams of fresh clean leaves of neem. When the leaves turn black, stop heating, cool the oil and then sieve it. Apply this oil 4 times a day. If applied for a year the problem will never occur again.
* Soak 4 grams wormwood and 4 grams kutki in 125 grams of water in a glass vessel in the night and then cover it. In the morning sieve it and drink the water. Now add 125 grams of water in the same material and vessel so that it can be used for 4 days continuously. Then throw away and add 4 grams of fresh wormwood and kutki in 125 grams of water and change the material every four days. Drink this water for 2-4 weeks and eczema will be cured.
* Papaya seeds mashed and applied on areas prevent itching of the skin due to eczema.
* Carrot and muskmelon are also beneficial in the treatment of eczema.
Herbal soap for eczema
Grate one large block of olive or vegetable oil soap into a basin and add into it 25 grams of finely chopped herbs, a few drops of essential oil and one tablespoon finely ground oatmeal. Heat gently until they melt and mix it well. Take any mould or egg box with waxed paper and pour the soap in it. Use this soap for cleaning your face.