Dandruff is a very common form of scalp irritation. It is actually a disease in itself, says Dr. Warwick Carter in his book The Complete Family Medical Guide, but most people describe a scalp that is shedding copious quantities of skin scale as dandruff.
It appears to be caused by a yeast-like fungus called malassezia, also known as pityrosporum. Malassezia is normally found on the scalp without causing problems, however, if it grows unchecked (possibly due to hormone imbalances, stress, immune suppression, infrequent shampooing, illness, or increased oil production), there is mild inflammation that produces dead skin cells.
Causes of dandruff
The main causes of dandruff are impairment of general health, development of a toxic condition mainly due to taking of wrong foods, constipation, and a low vitality due to infectious diseases.
What are the symptoms?
Common symptoms of dandruff include white, oily-looking flakes of dead skin in your hair and on your shoulders and an itchy, scaling scalp. Your scalp can be either excessively dry or oily.
Dandruff Home remedies Tips
1. Make a mixture of 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 6 teaspoons of water and apply it on the scalp before you go to bed. Keep it for the whole night with a towel around the head. Rinse your head with vinegar water again in the morning.
2. Mix some olive oil and almond oil and massage into your scalp. Leave for 5 minutes then rinse.
3. Nizoral Shampoo anti-fungal/anti-dandruff shampoo containing active ingredient Ketoconazole.
4. Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Oil) have been reported as useful in the treatment of dandruff.
5. Ginger Combine olive oil and ginger root and apply to your scalp before shampooing. If your dandruff is really bad, put the mixture on 10-15 minutes before shampooing.
6. Rosemary Rub rosemary oil or a mixture of olive oil and crushed rosemary leaves into your scalp and leave on for 15 minutes.
7. Make an infusion of 1 ounce each of fresh or dried rosemary and sage in 2 cups of water. Let steep for 24 hours, then use daily as a hair rinse.