Psoriasis is one of the most chronic skin diseases that is recognized by thick, red, silvery, scaled patches on the skin. It can be defined as an inflammatory skin condition. It affects both sexes and usually appears in the age of 15-35 years. Five types of psoriasis are:
* Plague psoriasis
It is the most common of all psoriasis. In this type of psoriasis patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale appears on almost every part of the body.
* Erythrodermic psoriasis
There is itching, pain and redness of the skin.
* Guttate psoriasis
Small red spots appear on the skin in this type of psoriasis
* Pustular psoriasis
White pustules surrounded by red skin appears on the skin
* Inverse psoriasis
Smooth, red lesions are formed in the folds of the skin.
Causes of psoriasis
* Heredity factor
* Abnormality in the metabolism of amino acids and proteins
* Seasonal changes
* Injury to the skin
* Various infections
Home Remedies for psoriasis
* The hot Epsom salts bath has been proven valuable in the psoriasis treatment. Application of olive oil after the Epsom salt bath is very effective.
* Regular seawater baths and application of seawater over the affected parts once a day is highly beneficial for psoriasis treatment.
* The use of mudpacks is beneficial for the psoriasis. They absorb and remove the toxins from the affected areas.
* Cabbage leaves can be used in form of compresses. They can be applied on the affected area after removing the thick veins and washing them thoroughly.
* Sunlight is the best and natural remedy for psoriasis treatment .
* Vitamin E therapy has been found useful in the treatment of psoriasis. A daily dose of 200-800 I.U is advisable as they reduce itching of the area.
* Lecithin is considered as a remarkable remedy for the treatment of psoriasis.
* 7-9 lecithin capsules in a day are recommended.
* Application of Aloe Vera gel and garlic oil on the affected area is beneficial.
* Application of cashew nut oil on the affected areas at night after a thorough wash of the face is very beneficial.
Lotions for psoriasis patients
* Wheat germ oil and castor oil
Mix one teaspoon each of wheat germ oil and castor oil in one cup of sunflower oil and rub this lotion on the affected areas for psoriasis treatment.
* Marigold lotion
Boil 4 marigold heads in 4 cups of water for 2-3 minutes. Allow it to cool and then apply on the affected area and if the scalp is affected massage it in to the scalp and wash it with mild shampoo.