Here we are, over halfway through the year already. What resolutions did you set for yourself this year? Are you on track to reaching your goals or did you give up after the 3rd week in January? If you did, why do you think that is? You’d be surprised to hear that many people are in the same boat as you….
One of the biggest reasons why people give up on following through on their goals is they don’t set a goal that they really, really want. Have you ever set a goal because your family wants or expects it? Many have. When you’re not emotionally attached to your dream, when the going gets tough, you’ll give up.
Another big reason people give up, is they set their goals too high. Many of us have big dreams but they seem out of reach at the moment. To get past this doubt and fear, set an interim goal, or “chunk it down” to smaller more achievable goals. Our goals should be big and make us feel uncomfortable, but not so big that we give up before we get started. For instance, if you’re used to earning $30,000 a year, you wouldn’t set a goal of earning $10 million in the next year. Chunk that down to $100,000 this year. Uncomfortable? Yes. Achievable? Absolutely!
If you’re one of the many people that gave up on living their dream before they even got started, here are some action items to get you back on track. Don’t wait for Monday, or next week, or next month. Begin it now. The sooner you start, the sooner you’ll be living a happier more fulfilling life!
1. Really think about what you want for your life. Write it out – what does that life look like, how are you living, do you have fulfilling relationships, how much money are you making, what kinds of things do you have in your life, how do you contribute back to your community, what kind of fulfilling work are you doing? Remember to focus on what you want, not what you don’t want or don’t have.
2. Write out clearly what you want. Describe it in detail – what do you see, hear, feel, smell, who are you with.
3. WHY do you want this new life of yours. Your reason will be the most compelling motivator to keep you moving towards your dream life. Without a strong enough why, it’s just a fleeting wish. This is what will keep you moving through any adversity.
4. Review your new life daily by reading your description and your why. This reinforces in your subconscious mind that this is what you really want. The role of your subconscious mind is to prove that what it thinks is right and real. It will move you towards whatever you want. It will move the people, places and things into your awareness so that you can act on the opportunities that will get you to your target.
5. Surround yourself with people that support your goal. This will keep you motivated and continually moving towards your dream life. Spend time with people who are doing, being and living what you want. You can do this by reading about them, participating in workshops and seminars, working with a personal or life coach, or joining masterminding groups.
6. Watch less TV. We are inundated with negative, self-defeating messages to our subconscious on a daily basis though TV – news, movies, television programs. We get enough of it out there with the majority of people walking aimlessly through their lives, unaware of their true potential or that it even exists. Do what you can to limit these messages to your subconscious.
7. Put the good stuff in your head before you go to bed. Read something inspirational before you go to sleep. Better even is to read your new dream life to yourself last thing before you go to bed. Your subconscious will work on solutions and ideas for you while you’re sleeping.
8. Act on inspired thought. When you get an urge to do something, do it. That’s your subconscious telling you that this is what you are to do to move you towards your new life, that it thinks is already real. That may be picking up the phone and calling someone, turning left when you normally wouldn’t. Talking to the person next to you in line. Whatever it is, act when your intuition knocks.
9. Be grateful. Gratitude is the most powerful tool available to us. When we feel truly grateful for what we have, we experience a joy subconsciously that immediately goes to work to bring more of it to us. Our subconscious at work for us yet again.
10. Be happy now. Even if your life isn’t what you want it to be, be happy now. Know that your subconscious is living in the life you want and you’re being propelled towards it’s vision. Be happy with your life now, experience joy now and you’ll see miracles happen. Life is a journey – enjoy the ride.