We have about 100,000 hairs on our heads. Each hair shaft has three layers, with the cuticle, or outside layer, protecting the two inner layers. Curly and dry hair types are usually more fragile than straight hair, so you’ll need to be especially careful about using heat styling products. Shampoos made for dry hair and hair conditioners can help. Healthy, attractive hair should shine. Whether your hair is long or short, light or dark, it should look smooth, silky and shiny. Hair that is dull, dry, brittle or frizzy is unhealthy and unattractive.
Regular haircuts are one of the best ways to help keep hair healthy. A haircut can help protect the ends of your hair from splitting and damage. Hair can break when points in the hair thicken or weaken. A major cause of hair breakage is improper use of chemical hair treatments. Many herbal shampoos, for instance, will sell you on the fact that they contain some herbs, yet their base formula contains traditional surfactants (foaming agents) such as sodium lauryl sulphate. Massaging hair and scalp is important for the well being as well as good growth of the hair. Hair extensions and braids can also cause breakage. Leaving them in too long or pulling them out without professional help can cause hair and scalp damage or even hair loss.
Herbal Care for Your Hair
Herbal products care for the body gently, with less risk of potentially harmful or harsh chemicals and synthetics. Part of a holistic view of our body’s health includes the products that you put on your hair and skin. The hair needs regular cleansing to remain healthy and to restore lost oils. Many herbs have been known for their cleansing, toning and moisturizing properties for centuries.
Why Natural Herbal Products?
In recent years, more concern has arisen about potential dangers of over-processed ingredients in skin and hair care products. Products with a focus on natural, certified organic, organic or wildcrafted ingredients, especially herbal extracts, lessen our dependency on harsh chemical additives, are kinder to the environment and utilize our renewable energy resources.
Hair Care Tips
1. Use regular hair rollers, winding hair loosely around them.
2. Avoid electric rollers, hot combs, and curling irons, or use these on a cool setting. For black hair, look online to identify the best flat iron black hair options.
3. Always apply conditioner from the ears down – never condition the scalp.
4. Choose hair color that compliments your style.
5. Avoid pulling back your hair tightly.
6. Add iron and minerals in the natural form in your diet.
7. Apply a mixture of almond oil and gooseberry juice with finger tips on the scalp.
8. Add essential oil of ylang ylang to your shampoo, conditioner and styling agents as a hair rejuvenator. Ylang ylang and rosemary essential oils are also believed to stimulate hair growth.
9. Drinking plenty of water and eating plenty of raw fruits and vegetables is probably the best way to achieving healthy hair. What goes into your body is reflective on the outside including your hair.