Foundations Repair Contractors | Who Fixes Cracks?
Who Do You Call To Repair Foundation Cracks?
Fixing foundation cracks can often be a DIY task if they don’t threaten the foundation’s structural integrity. But, having certified foundation repair contractors assess these issues can ensure they’re not a sign of a significant structural problem. They have the expertise and experience to accurately evaluate the severity of the crack and determine any underlying structural issues.
Hiring a foundation repair contractor can ensure the crack is correctly addressed and any potential structural issues are identified and resolved promptly. This guide will inform you when to worry about foundation cracks, where to find reputable contractors, and how to choose the right professional.
When To Worry About Foundation Cracks?
Foundation cracks, whether minor or significant, can be a source of stress for homeowners. Some cracks don’t pose safety threats and are merely unsightly. Examples are hairline cracks in the drywall or plaster. Heat and ground movement typically cause these cracks.
However, structural cracks—those in concrete block foundations and poured concrete walls—often indicate serious foundation issues and pose severe risks to the building’s structural integrity. Here are some indications you should call a professional to check and repair cracks in your foundation:
- Cracks are wider than 1/10 inch.
- The width of the cracks is uneven.
- Cracks are progressively enlarging.
- Large diagonal cracks are visible.
- Cracks extend across the ceiling and down a wall.
- Stair-step cracks appear in brickwork.
- Horizontal foundation cracks are present.
- Several vertical cracks are located near each other.
Where To Find Foundation Repair Contractors?
Finding reliable foundation repair contractors is essential to ensure the job is done correctly. Here are some suggestions on where you can start your search:
- Recommendations: Ask friends, family members, or neighbors with foundation repair work done for suggestions. Personal referrals can give insights into the quality of a contractor’s work and their level of customer service. Realtors and general contractors are excellent sources of references since they know many foundation professionals.
- Online Directories: Utilize online directories that connect homeowners with local service providers. Websites like HomeAdvisor or Angie’s List can help you find reputable foundation repair contractors in your area.
- Google Search: A simple online search can yield a list of potential contractors. Reading reviews and checking ratings can help trim down your choices.
- Local Professional Associations: Check with local professional associations such as the National Association of Waterproofing and Structural Repair Contractors or the American Society of Concrete Contractors for a list of certified contractors in your vicinity.
How To Select a Reliable Foundation Repair Contractor?
Picking the right foundation repair contractor requires careful consideration of various factors to ensure quality work. Here are some tips to help you choose the right foundation professional:
- Licensing and Insurance: Verify that the foundation contractor is licensed and insured in your state. Proper licensing ensures the contractor meets the requirements and has the expertise to perform foundation repairs. Insurance coverage safeguards you from liability in case of any mishaps or accidents during the project.
- Experience and Expertise: Look for contractors with significant experience in foundation repair. An established track record indicates their expertise and ability to handle various foundation issues.
- References and Reviews: Request references from the foundation contractor and contact their past clients to gauge their satisfaction with the services provided. Check their online reviews and ratings to get a broader perspective on their reputation.
- Written Estimates and Contracts: Obtain written estimates from multiple contractors and compare them for transparency and fairness. Once you select a contractor, ensure all project details are outlined in a written contract, including the scope of work, timeline, and payment terms.
- Warranties and Guarantees: Inquire about any warranties or guarantees the contractor offers. A reputable professional should be confident in their work and stand behind it with a warranty.
Foundation cracks can be fixed, and promptly addressing them is crucial to avoid potential structural problems and safety risks. While small cracks can often be repaired using DIY methods, it’s essential to consult foundation repair contractors for wider gaps or any issues indicating structural damage.
When searching for foundation professionals, you can seek recommendations from people you know, online directories, and professional associations to find reliable options. Consider licensing, experience, references, and contracts before deciding. With the help of a qualified and trustworthy foundation repair contractor, you can ensure that your foundation is solid and secure for many years.