Extensions for Listed Buildings

Though buildings may be listed in full, it is still possible to add an extension on the condition that you retain or add era-appropriate features and follow the listed guidelines when doing so. The main reason for this is so the addition to your home looks great not only in terms of design but also in style. There are 3 types of listed buildings and are split into the following:

Grade II – These are special interest buildings and most likely lived in by homeowners – these make up 92% of all listed buildings.

Grade II* – These are buildings of more than special interest – 5.5% of listed buildings.
Grade I – Buildings of International Interest – around 2.5% of listed buildings.

It’s important to note that these rules are subject to criminal law and not planning law as many people think. However, an extension or partial demolition is not out of the question, and planning permission for a conservatory or orangery is not as hard to get as you may think.

Architectural Considerations
Some of the most common and also most suited extensions consist of modern architectural takes on the classical architecture of the past. Many 17th and 18th century homes looking to extend often find that a classical orangery fits in wonderfully with their homes.

Of course, one of the other important considerations is to ensure that you are using materials for your new conservatory or orangery extension that are in keeping with the original building. This can be part of the criteria for obtaining permission and in most cases; bricks or stonework must match the original building. This is where it is important to choose a conservatory or orangery company with extensive experience in dealing with extensions for grade listed buildings, as they will make sure any brick or stonework will match.

This may often be a little expensive, but depending on the project and if your building is Grade I or II listed there may be grants available to assist you with the refurbishment, though these are rarely available.

Local Authorities
Sometimes you will even see local authorities issue repair notices on buildings that have fallen into disrepair. This is an obligatory repair and means that the building must be repaired at the owner’s expense, though as said before grants are available under certain but very rare circumstances.

Generally, there are a number of things you will need to get consent for when making a change to a home and this includes modifying or changing windows, painting over brickwork, adding aerials and satellites, changing the roofing materials and adding or altering staircases and fireplaces. All of these and more are considered to be very important features of the original home and must not be changed or altered in any way at all without prior consent.

One of the best ways to ensure that your home will meet these standards is to use an architect to help you out. They will be aware of the regulations and be able to point you in the correct direction, allowing you preservation and a new extension, whether it is an orangery or otherwise.