Copyright 2006 Cari Vollmer
Overwhelmed with too much to do? Some days are just like that. But just because youre feeling pulled a million different directions doesn’t mean you have to abandon your goals. In fact, doing the simple exercise below will help you simplify your life, while remaining focused and purposeful throughout your busy day. So, before you do anything else, grab a cup of coffee and grab a sheet paper and do this exercise.
Beginning of the week:
1. Draw a line down the middle of a piece of paper, creating two columns. At the top of one column write Personal, at the top of the other column write Business.
2. Now, under each column BRAINSTORM a list of all the things you want to accomplish within the next week. Include both WANTS (based on the vision you have for your life) and NEEDS (your day-to-day obligations and tasks). You now have a MASTER LIST.
3. Work off this list for one week and then create a new master list next week. Transfer any remaining items from this weeks list on to next weeks list, if necessary.
Remember: Your list should not be cast in stone. Remain flexible and feel free to add to your list as new opportunities present themselves, etc.
4. Each morning, go through your master list and ask yourself, “What can I do today to feel as though I’m honoring myself and the vision I have for my life?” AND What can I do to make myself feel better about myself and my life? Circle those items.
5. Then ask, “What can I do today to feel like I’m taking care of my day-to-day business (pay bills, run errands, etc.)?” Put a check mark next to those items.
6. Finally, being realistic, pick three items TOTAL to focus on for the day. Choose one or two things from the items you circled and one or two things from the items you check marked. You now have your FOCUS for the day. By choosing both circled and check marked items youre honoring the life you want to create, as well as your every day responsibilities.
End of the week:
7. Be proud of yourself for actively creating the life you want. Dont be hard on yourself if you didnt get it ALL done. Chances are, because you started the week with focus and purpose you got more done than you otherwise would have. After all, the beginning is always today. Remember to enjoy the journey!