Suffice it to say, I am definitely one of those skeptical people who do not believe in a lot of the new age rhetoric and law of attraction stuff. Ever since The Secret came out I saw too many of my friends put all of their hopes and dreams into positive thinking and none of them ever made their dreams come true. Months later I saw many of them tearing down their vision boards frustrated that none of the “abundance” came into their life.
I recently interviewed Sam Miller, founder of The Coaching Institute who is a master life coach and has helped hundreds of people improve the quality of their life. When I asked him why so many people are still struggling even though they are thinking positively, here is what he said:
“Thinking positively is only ten percent of the equation. Taking action to the best of your ability without having expectations towards the outcome is the other 90%. This is why coaching is so beneficial because so many people lose their motivation after they get a quick burst of inspiration through films like The Secret. While books and films are powerful tools, you still have to do the work.”
After some back and forth with him I decided to have an open mind and began working with him on a regular basis. I must say that at first I was still a bit skeptical, but as I began to do the work and push forward, I did start to notice some positive results in my life. I even began reading some positive quotes and daily affirmations like:
- I have the power to create all the success and prosperity I desire.
- I choose to think positive and create a wonderful life for myself.
- I am always open minded and eager to explore new avenues to success.
- I only permit positive thoughts to remain in my mind.
- I am organized and productive; I am intentional with the goals I set & tasks I work on
- I am focused on my goals and feel passionate about my work.
- I am extremely passionate about constantly being better and more successful.
- Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be
- I am worthy enough to follow my dreams and manifest my desires
After reading these daily consistently for four weeks and doing the assignments my life coach gave me, I truly did start to believe that life coaching really is worth it. What I loved even more about it was that I was able to meet with him online so I didn’t have to drive to his office which made the experience ten times better.